• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to wear a cardigan...

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
... without looking too decrepit & ancient?

For reference, the cardigan in question is a relatively slim-fitting (not skin-tight, but not baggy), medium-grey from Zara.

As an example of the style, it's similar to this one, but with a slightly deeper V & slightly darker grey -

cardigan+2.jpg

(I'm not so keen on the combo pictured in that example, for instance)

Any ideas/pics?

So far, the best one I've found is p39 of the Loro Piana A/W 08/09 collection on their site. link: http://www.loropiana.com/catalogo_AI...9/catalogo.htm

LeonM

Reaction score
Tricky.
Do it up.
Wear a white long sleeved t-shirt underneath?
Jeans. No pipe or slippers.

Leon

Cravate_Noire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got only two and really like them. Plan to get more^^.

Two examples from me

823_27_08_08_11_53_27_1.jpg

106ybzq.jpg

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like cardigans and plan to get more for the fall/winter. I wear mine similar to Cravatte with a shirt and tie...

5d4c06b0.jpg

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have one on right now, casually with jeans and OCBD. Top and bottom buttons of cardigan undone. I am planning on getting another or two this season.

incastoutcast

Reaction score
I'd say one of the major tips is to follow the pictures of the guys above, and don't button the bottom button - that, keep the colors light, the material and cut thin.

Wallis

winston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's no item of clothing I have agonized over more than the cardigan. I just don't know if I can make it work or not. I feel that they're good on the guy who is very skinny but confident with it, and with the very masculine male who won't look decrepit in anything, but being somewhere in between, I fear that I might come off as slightly frumpy in one.

Haystack

Reaction score
I generally now prefer zip cardigans but do like this one of mine.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's some serious cardigan angst around these parts.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Medium grey suit, white shirt, and a thin, colored cardigan... Let the cardi put some pop into the outfit.

zarathustra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by erdawe
Medium grey suit, white shirt, and a thin, colored cardigan... Let the cardi put some pop into the outfit.

That's what i am talking about.
laugh.gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by incastoutcast
I'd say one of the major tips is to follow the pictures of the guys above, and don't button the bottom button - that, keep the colors light, the material and cut thin.

Wallis

Weirdly, I don't like thin cardigans at all, especially the PL type. The thin ones I have I never wear. They look too bulgy over shirts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics