• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

How to wear a button-neck sweater?

UCMaroon

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Long-time lurker. First-time poster. Love the site.

A few weeks ago, I bought a pair of sweaters at H&M that look kind of like this:

I love the texture, the colors, and the fit, etc., etc., but I don't know what to do with the collar. It won't stay down for any length of time, but I don't know if I'm supposed to wear it up or not, or if that looks like a ridiculous popped collar on a polo.

I guess I probably shouldn't have bought them in the first place, but they looked so nice in the store.

Any thoughts? Or just eat the money and toss them and lesson learned?

Thanks!

ktrp

Reaction score
The second one is on a mannequin. Wear it the way the mannequin is.

The problem is that you think it looks cool on the mannequin, but are afraid that you're not cool enough to wear it like that.

BoomDiggs

Reaction score
The collar is designed to be worn up, as far as I know. Not quite as out of line as a popped polo because one can make the argument that the collar on the sweater is up for warmth, I guess.

UCMaroon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ktrp
The second one is on a mannequin. Wear it the way the mannequin is.

The problem is that you think it looks cool on the mannequin, but are afraid that you're not cool enough to wear it like that.

Do you think that mannequins are usually a pretty good indication of how to wear a piece?

Sazerac

Reaction score
They are designed to be worn up. Because of this, the looks isn't as affected as it is with a popped polo shirt collar. They're quite practical, really, as they do add a bit of warmth at the neck and look great.

Joe Cool

Reaction score
Originally Posted by UCMaroon
Hello everyone. Long-time lurker. First-time poster. Love the site.

A few weeks ago, I bought a pair of sweaters at H&M that look kind of like this:

Oh Son, lookit the size of them buttons man...those things are HUUUUUGE!

UCMaroon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joe Cool
Oh Son, lookit the size of them buttons man...those things are HUUUUUGE!

Trust me, I would never wear that Abercrombie & Fitch one in the photo (or anything from that atrocious store).
It was just the first example that popped up that looked remotely like what I own.

Thanks for everyone's input and patience with such a basic question from a newbie (both on the forum and style-wise). I wore it up today to do some Christmas shopping and am now convinced that it looks terrific.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.