1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How to wear a bowtie casually for a high school student

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by JustTheDoctor, Mar 3, 2012.

1. meso

meso Senior member

OP seems like a completely likeable guy compared to this latest douche.

Still waiting for some TOUGH pics of bow ties.

and since when is a bow tie part of the skin look? What era?

2. Philip

Philip Senior member

I didn't think you would arrive at the femnazi stereotype so quickly.

3. Philip

Philip Senior member

I believe this is what Slavo had in mind

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. meso

meso Senior member

blocked.

1 person likes this.
  5. anomie

anomie Member

get this thing out of here, it's disgusting

6. autumndreams

autumndreams Senior member

Guess I've come to the thread a little late.

Ignore the bullies. Wear a bowtie if you want, but it's certainly a little...ah...out of the norm. I can't say that I'm crazy about them. At all.

I haven't seen anything posted in this thread, in terms of bowties, that looks good in my book. That includes Chris Brown. That outfit is just...awful. If you ask me.

Anywho, this has turned out to be a truly awful thread. No offense meant to the OP. Just...well...don't let forums like this ruin your perspective of humanity.

See:

[​IMG]

7. Pluripotent

Pluripotent Well-Known Member

Not sure that people are bullying him. They are just telling him all the things that everyone who sees him in person is going to be thinking, but will not say outright. He did ask for an opinion, and he got an opinion. Just because it's not 100% support doesn't mean it's not valuable or bullying. If he wants to ignore the naysayers and wear a bowtie, certainly he can and will. Bowties generally look pretty silly, unless they are black and worn with a tux, but hell, wear an ascot if you want to! Carry a pipe and cane! If people tell you it looks like a costume instead of clothes, tell them you're not going to stand for that bullying, dammit, and wear it anyway!

8. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

Or paint with an addict
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. Needsmoreshoes

Needsmoreshoes Senior member

As a student in my first year of uni I'd have to say there's a very.... particular kind of guy about campus that wears bowties on a daily basis. I know you've got some crap in this thread but - nobody likes that guy. Nobody. Don't try to be him. Although I will say that bowties are currently getting a hell-pf-a-time from the loathesomely dressed Topman shopper.

Lawrence Schlossman said in an Esquire interview that (paraphrasing) 'too many guys use them as a style crutch and think you can just put on a bowtie with any outfit and be the best dressed man in the room'

I think that's true - if you're trying to develop your style I'd put effort into mastering the basics instead of wearing bowties.

My two cents - good luck if you're gonna run with it though "that guy"

1 person likes this.
  10. amathew

amathew Senior member

Kid should've posted this in the mens clothing forum and he would've gotten more support. Seriously, you asked a bunch of "streetwear" people weather or not to wear a bowtie. Not exactly the audience who knows about traditional mens fashion.

11. i_pod_sux

i_pod_sux Active Member

But this kid wants to incorporate it into a streetwear aesthetic. Not, I imagine a MC-Goes-to-high-school one.

12. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Yeah this would have been better handled in MC for sure. Personally I think a bow tie could be incorporated into streetwear. It would have to be done right and you would have to own the look and be comfortable while wearing it or you're done. For those who think otherwise I have a question for you. How do you justify wearing a fedora or if you're really ballsy a bowler while wearing "streetwear"?

To the OP...

Go right ahead and go for it. As has been pointed out a bow tie is a prominent clothing item. Keep the colors toned down a bit and make sure the color compliments the rest of what you're wearing. Keep looking at pics of people wearing a bow tie, do some experimenting and you'll figure out something that works for you and looks good.

13. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

Why not do something like Blaine on Glee?

[​IMG]

14. bringusingoodale

bringusingoodale Senior member

I will give you real advice which you should take seriously:

Know that once you do this, there is no turning back.

You cannot be a jeans and hoodie guy, ever again.

You cannot pretend to have different styles because you are 'cool like that'

If you cannot afford to live and dress the foppish, preppy lifestyle, do no do it (realize it will be more expensive than the cargo shorts and t shirt lifestyle)

So, what I am saying is, do it if this is the image you are dedicated to for the rest of you high school life and possibly even university life, because what would be funnier if you start wear cargo shorts in college after being known as the guy who was wearing jacket and ties in high school.

15. BreezyBirch

BreezyBirch Senior member

Someone post that old fit of sq in his tight boo shirt and bowtie

16. lmaligaya

lmaligaya Senior member

OP, you seem to be confident in wearing a bow tie. Go for it. Based on how you describe your current wardrobe you should be able to pull something like this off: [​IMG]

Some better fitting pants (denim or slacks doesn't matter) and smarter shoes and you will be all set. You can always take the tie off if it needs to come to that. I agree with the ideas that the tie should be the most formal part of the outfit and not the loudest either. At least at first while you get comfortable and nail the look. A madras tie can also be good once it starts to get warm and doesnt have to be overly loud.

Your styles and tastes will change so there is no harm in pushing it for one day. Dont let the haters get to you, here on this thread, forum or real life. Have fun in hs, enjoy yourself, and do well in school.

L

17. ceoceo

ceoceo Senior member

why the hell would anyone bring back this thread :facepalm: