• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to wear a blazer?

brooklyn

Reaction score
I want to get a blazer for the summer for business casual days. How do you match a blazer with dress pants? Should I look for a blazer with a pattern or a solid color?

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, a blazer is typically a solid color garment with gold buttons. A wonderful summer look, in my opinion, especially when paired with a french blue shirt and khaki colored dress trousers (as per the picture in A Night Out in DC). It also looks good with light grey trousers. I recommend a navy DB, the most classic of all blazers, with flapped pockets and side vents. 6 buttons with two that function. If the lapel rolls gently around the top functioning button I think it looks best to button only the lower button.

brooklyn

Reaction score
does anyone have some pics?

How about a 3 or 2 button SB black blazer? Am I confusing my question between a sportcoat and blazer?

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ties with stripes and with the color navy in them (navy does not have to be predominant) often look good with navy blazers. Or you can try the approach discussed in a recent thread with A Harris and with which I've been experimenting: light blue shirt and solid black tie with texture or knit- works with almost all casual jackets including blazer.

Whatever blazer you get, the weight of the trousers should be similar to the weight of the blazer.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Navy blazers really go great with anything. It pretty hard to screw up. Just don't wear it with black pants, and you'll be ok.

Also, if you ever in a meeting, and don't have anything smart to say, wear a navy blazer.

brooklyn

Reaction score
Ties with stripes and with the color navy in them (navy does not have to be predominant) often look good with navy blazers. Or you can try the approach discussed in a recent thread with A Harris and with which I've been experimenting: light blue shirt and solid black tie with texture or knit- works with almost all casual jackets including blazer.

Whatever blazer you get, the weight of the trousers should be similar to the weight of the blazer.
I don't need to wear a tie on business casual days. I am really looking for a a jacket that goes both with dress pants, kakhis and jeans? Am i dreaming of something that does not even exist.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
I don't need to wear a tie on business casual days. I am really looking for a a jacket that goes both with dress pants, kakhis and jeans? Am i dreaming of something that does not even exist.
navy single breasted jacket, 2 or 3 button depending on taste, preferably with a clear texture or subtle pattern such as a windowpane. you can wear that with anything you list there - but avoid black trousers as posted earlier, and be a little careful with navy trousers as you dont want it looking like a mismatched suit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads