• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How To Watch Computer Movies On Your TV

alexei

Reaction score
I don't know where to search for this as I don't know what all it involves.

I am looking to buy a new TV. I am still using a big-box (i.e. not flat screen) TV from ~10 years ago. I want to make sure whatever new TV I buy can play movies off my computer. What should I look for? Is it as easy as some forums I've found say - to just get an S-Video and audio cables to connect from computer to TV? Can I do any of it wirelessly or through a different mechanism since I want to play movies from my desktop computer in another room?

I would greatly appreciate some help or simply pointing me in the right direction elsewhere in the interwebz.

Thanks.

Telefonica

Reaction score
Yes, that would work if you have the right outputs from your PC. I've used that type of setup before. What kind of outputs do you have on your computer? If possible, you might want to consider HDMI or DVI cables. Also, can your computer's video card handle multiple monitors? If your PC is relatively new, this shouldn't be a prob. The key here is making sure your pc has the right outputs, and your new TV has the right inputs. Other things like the Xbox 360, or PS3 can connect to your PC and be the interface if you need. I also found this interesting device below: http://www.provantage.com/ultimate-w...s~22096672.htm Or, look into DLNA certified TVs. I've never used one, but from what I've read, you can install Windows Media Center on your PC and buy a DLNA tv and you're done.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
WDTV Live Plus HD Media Player is also awesome. It'll play any format file, even high bitrate 1080p h264 MKV. HDMI connection to your HDTV. Around $120. Easiest thing to do is to copy files off your PC onto a USB thumb drive then connect to the WDTV USB port. BTW, you do need to buy an HDMI cable for it, it doesn't include one. Other than that, this thing kicks @ss. Bought one as an Xmas present last year for a friend and it's been going strong all year. http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ReviewTitleBar

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Most new TVs have DVI, which is what computer monitors use (if they were made in the last 10 years...). So you could hook it up directly, though you'd need to take care of the sound separately.

_Many_ PCs also have HDMI, which is what TVs use nowadays.

S-Video is pretty much obsolete.

ari.seoul

Reaction score
I'm not a computer expert and I'm a bit behind on today's technology, but this is what I would do ~

you have to look at both: computer and TV

1. TV
has to be able to take input from outside video source (DVD, cable, etc)

2. Computer - to be specific: the video card

the video card has to be able to do an output to a TV (not just the monitor)
when purchasing/putting together a new computer: make sure you specify that you want a video card you can link to a TV

and if you have a computer already and just need a new video card, make sure your computer's mother board can handle the new video card

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Apparently there's also DVI to HDMI cables, so you shouldn't have any trouble hooking them up. Though, again, I guess you'd have to do sound separately.

imschatz

Reaction score
Most computers do not have HDMI/DVI outputs, or S-Video outputs for that matter. If your's does then great, but for the most part you'll need a "Video Card". Check out newegg.com and search for video cards. There are a million of them, and for what you're doing any will work. Easily find one under $50.

If you buy the right card, you'll have DVI/HDMI and likely S-Vide output from your computer. Now just run a cable from your computer to your TV.

If you want to do this wirelessly .. you have a slightly harder problem. Easiest way to do this .. buy a PS3 or Xbox. I'd say for your purposes, get the PS3. With a new TV you'd likely want a Blu-Ray player anyways .. so kill 2 birds with one stone. Both PS3 and XBox will do this for you.

There are a bunch of cheaper devises, that will work. If you want to go the cheaper route, ask the guy you buy your TV from. 99% will get a bit of a hardon if you tell them you want to watch movies from your computer on your TV. This is something A LOT of people are starting to do, so it's not like he'll look at you funny.

EVERY TV will play movies from your computer onto your TV. The trick is just getting the necessary hardware to connect the two.

SladeDT

Reaction score
If you have an S-Video cable (and your computer has the S-Video output) then all you need is an RF modulator to hook your computer up to your tv.
smile.gif

juicemakesugar

Reaction score
If you're talking about illegally downloaded movies then get a PS3 and stream them from your computer.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh, yeah: before you buy a computer for your TV, check and see if it can play your movies itself. My Samsung has a surprisingly powerful media player built in. I don't use it much but it's been able to handle everything I've thrown at it: wmv, avi, mkv, etc., even in 1080p resolutions.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads