• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to wash clothes?

jinx

Reaction score
I guess its time i figure this one out. Any general tips would be nice, but the real problem is i keep getting these purple stains on my clothes. I think there from bleach but im not sure. The stains are most noticeable on blue cloths but last week i noticed a few on my grey hoddie. Can anyone recommend a kind of detergent/ cleaner and or how much to use?
thanks.
ps. if you really want i can post a picture.

jj4

Reaction score
I used to get these when I used disolving detergent tablets. Since I switched to liquid Tide I have had no problem and I am very happy with Tide. Due to this bad experience I will no longer use any form of solid (ie, tablets or powder) detergent.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to get these when I used disolving detergent tablets.   Since I switched to liquid Tide I have had no problem and I am very happy with Tide. Due to this bad experience I will no longer use any form of solid (ie, tablets or powder) detergent.
I don't think solid detergent are to blame.  You mention Kabbaz's laundry instructions and he recommends Tide unscented powder detergent.  After hearing him describe the laundry service he provides for some of his clients, I'm quite comfortable using powdered detergent on my more pedestrian clothes.

dan

jj4

Reaction score
I have considered trying that particular brand after reading the article, but after ruining some clothes with pink/purple spots I am still hesitant as I found detergent that works well for me.

linux_pro

Reaction score
It sounds as if your washing machine might have some role in that problem. I would have it looked at by a service person.

familyman

Reaction score
Fabric softener ruined several items of clothing for me in a similar manner.
Liquid detergent did as well once, but it was on clothing that I had spot treated with detergent, left for several days, and then washed with another peice of red clothing that ran quite severly. It was just a junk shirt so no big deal, but these are the two situations where it's happened to me.
My grandfather always waits until the washer is full of water before adding the soap, he beilieves that the concentrated soap sitting directly on the clothes as the washer fills can cause problems.

Ed13

Reaction score
I always put the detergent (powder or liquid) in first and fill the water to its lowest limit and let it run for a few minutes. I then load the clothes and fill the machine to the desired water level. This helps eliminate soap spots on the clothes.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I sprinkle powdered detergent into the stream of running water and let it mix for a little while while sorting what clothes to put in. Never had a problem since doing this. Powdered detergent definitely can screw things up if it doesn't dissolve all the way.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A good front-loading washing machine will help get your clothing clean. The cleaning action of a good front loader is more effective than that of a top loading agitator model.

Bosch, Miele, and others make good front-loading machines.

As an added benefit, the front loaders tend to be easier on your clothing, causing less wear and tear than an agitator.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads