• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

how to tie this knot? or does this guy just buy nicer ties than i do?

Reaction score
hello all,

here is a screen capture from the latest episode of 'Shark' on CBS. my tie knots always end up sort of skinny and cylindrical. i learned "over-under-over-under-behind-through" when i was 12.

is this a wider tie in a looser knot? or a different method? i dig the width & how it rises slightly over the collar (i actually like the tie itself, too, but i have a few in this vein).

nicetiexq6.jpg

thanks!

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I make my knots like that, by adjusting it after tying it. Try slightly loosening the knot, straightening and neatening it up, then re-tightening while pinching the bottom of it. Also makes making the dimple a lot easier for me.

I betcha it's a very tight full windsor. looks nice

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll tell you the secret if you capitalize your sentences.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Try a Shelby/Pratt knot.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The dimple is too perfect.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A little too symmetrical for my tastes but it's probably a half-windsor (or as javyn suggests a very, very tight full windsor).

Personally when a knot and tie are that perfect, I feel the tie has the air of clip-on about it. Nothing wrong with a clip-on if you actually need one for safety at your job, but otherwise, why mimic the look?

YMMV, of course.

trogdor

Reaction score

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
he dimple is too perfect.
No such thing as too perfect a dimple!!

Although, I don't like how the edge of the tie bows in towards the shirt around the dimple. That happens when I do a good dimple, so I have to pinch the edges away from the shirt

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rolo
This is what I've always called a Shelby knot. It's how I usually tie my ties.

Rolo

What he said. Which is what I said.

wheelerray

Reaction score
Never tried this knot before seeing this thread, but darn, even my cheap ties are pulling up into a good dimple. The only downside I'm seeing is that it does tend to pull up almost too perfectly. But I'd much rather spend a minute or two tussling to make it less perfect than trying to get a half-windsor to dimple at all.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wheelerray
Never tried this knot before seeing this thread, but darn, even my cheap ties are pulling up into a good dimple. The only downside I'm seeing is that it does tend to pull up almost too perfectly. But I'd much rather spend a minute or two tussling to make it less perfect than trying to get a half-windsor to dimple at all.
It's a great knot. It's replaced the windsors in my repertoire completely.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is my half windsor with thin material. I know the dimple is off to the right some, but usually I can get it right in the middle, not that favoring one side bothers me when it happens. edit: I'm trying this Pratt knot...it seems so backwards and I can only get it to look like ****.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you get the Pratt/Shelby knot right, it should be nearly as symmetrical as a full windsor. It's tied a lot like a FIH, only inside out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads