How to tie the belt on the back of trenchcoat?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Bates, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Bates

Bates Well-Known Member

I just bought a new trench and I wonder how to tie it on the back without looking like a fool. I DONT want to tie it in the front like people usually do! It looks too militaryish for me. So if I tie it on the back, what style should i go for? This is a picture of the back of my trenchcoat: [​IMG] Should I just wear it like this? [​IMG] Or should I go for something like this? (That style of knot but on the back instead of front) /Bates

2. RJmanbearpig

RJmanbearpig Senior member

Or should I go for something like this? (That style of knot but on the back instead of front)

/Bates

Shouldn't you ask your mother?

3. Bates

Bates Well-Known Member

No she is dead.

Back to topic.

4. yfyf

yfyf Affiliate vendor Affiliate Vendor

I just bought a new trench and I wonder how to tie it on the back without looking like a fool.
    I DONT want to tie it in the front like people usually do! It looks too militaryish for me.
    So if I tie it on the back, what style should i go for?
    This is a picture of the back of my trenchcoat:
    [​IMG]
    Should I just wear it like this?

[​IMG]
    Or should I go for something like this? (That style of knot but on the back instead of front)

/Bates

Although it's frowned upon in these parts, I tied my belt behind me in a four in hand. I used the belt to pull the back a little and give the trench a bit of waist shape.

5. Haruspex

Haruspex Well-Known Member

Beautiful trench -- may I inquire as to the brand and source?

Alain Delon always buckled his trench in a customary manner. That seems pretty conclusive.

6. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Senior member

I always tuck the belt in to the pockets when I'm not wearing it belted. I thought trenches were intentionally designed with big hip pockets to allow for this?

7. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I don't like to tie my belt in the back. I had the belt loops removed from my go-to trench, but for the others, I tie the belts in front.

8. yfyf

JayJay : is the Black Fleece trench your go-to?

9. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

JayJay : is the Black Fleece trench your go-to?
    No, my go-to is a Burberry I bought a few years back. I enjoy my BF trench, but nothing beats my trusted Burberry.

10. yfyf

I see. I still remember you saying the BF one was pretty nice and would be worth sizing up for. Thus, I regret not buying it [​IMG]

11. erdawe

erdawe Senior member

I always tuck the belt in to the pockets when I'm not wearing it belted. I thought trenches were intentionally designed with big hip pockets to allow for this?

Yeah I don't know if others from on this sartorially, but I usually end up doing this when I wear it open. When it's closed I go like the second posted pic w/ the loose tie job.

12. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

I DONT want to tie it in the front like people usually do! It looks too militaryish for me.

Sigh.

13. lordofpi

lordofpi Senior member

I don't mean to seem mocking, but what exactly is the problem with buckling in the front? I know Bogart tied it (frontally), but if it was meant to be tied, it wouldn't have a buckle and loops, IMHO. Sort of like putting one's trousers on backwards just to be different. Am I the odd man out here, or do some others of you just buckle it and be done?

By the way, Bates, that is a beautiful coat.

14. mwat70

mwat70 Member

I don't mean to seem mocking, but what exactly is the problem with buckling in the front? I know Bogart tied it (frontally), but if it was meant to be tied, it wouldn't have a buckle and loops, IMHO. Sort of like putting one's trousers on backwards just to be different. Am I the odd man out here, or do some others of you just buckle it and be done?

By the way, Bates, that is a beautiful coat.

I'm the odd man out with you...! It just pains me against my OCD to not use the buckle. I've just bought a new trench coat (Dunhill) and have been using the buckle at the front - seems far more neat and tidy. I can't get on with the knot effect.

15. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

+1