Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

How to tie the belt on the back of trenchcoat?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Bates, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Bates

Bates Well-Known Member

I just bought a new trench and I wonder how to tie it on the back without looking like a fool. I DONT want to tie it in the front like people usually do! It looks too militaryish for me. So if I tie it on the back, what style should i go for? This is a picture of the back of my trenchcoat: [​IMG] Should I just wear it like this? [​IMG] Or should I go for something like this? (That style of knot but on the back instead of front) /Bates

2. RJmanbearpig

RJmanbearpig Senior member

Or should I go for something like this? (That style of knot but on the back instead of front)

/Bates

Shouldn't you ask your mother?

3. Bates

Bates Well-Known Member

No she is dead.

Back to topic.

4. yfyf

yfyf Affiliate vendor Affiliate Vendor

I just bought a new trench and I wonder how to tie it on the back without looking like a fool.
    I DONT want to tie it in the front like people usually do! It looks too militaryish for me.
    So if I tie it on the back, what style should i go for?
    This is a picture of the back of my trenchcoat:
    [​IMG]
    Should I just wear it like this?

[​IMG]
    Or should I go for something like this? (That style of knot but on the back instead of front)

/Bates

Although it's frowned upon in these parts, I tied my belt behind me in a four in hand. I used the belt to pull the back a little and give the trench a bit of waist shape.

5. Haruspex

Haruspex Well-Known Member

Beautiful trench -- may I inquire as to the brand and source?

Alain Delon always buckled his trench in a customary manner. That seems pretty conclusive.

6. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Senior member

I always tuck the belt in to the pockets when I'm not wearing it belted. I thought trenches were intentionally designed with big hip pockets to allow for this?

7. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I don't like to tie my belt in the back. I had the belt loops removed from my go-to trench, but for the others, I tie the belts in front.

8. yfyf

JayJay : is the Black Fleece trench your go-to?

9. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

JayJay : is the Black Fleece trench your go-to?
    No, my go-to is a Burberry I bought a few years back. I enjoy my BF trench, but nothing beats my trusted Burberry.

10. yfyf

I see. I still remember you saying the BF one was pretty nice and would be worth sizing up for. Thus, I regret not buying it [​IMG]

11. erdawe

erdawe Senior member

I always tuck the belt in to the pockets when I'm not wearing it belted. I thought trenches were intentionally designed with big hip pockets to allow for this?

Yeah I don't know if others from on this sartorially, but I usually end up doing this when I wear it open. When it's closed I go like the second posted pic w/ the loose tie job.

12. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

I DONT want to tie it in the front like people usually do! It looks too militaryish for me.

Sigh.

13. lordofpi

lordofpi Senior member

I don't mean to seem mocking, but what exactly is the problem with buckling in the front? I know Bogart tied it (frontally), but if it was meant to be tied, it wouldn't have a buckle and loops, IMHO. Sort of like putting one's trousers on backwards just to be different. Am I the odd man out here, or do some others of you just buckle it and be done?

By the way, Bates, that is a beautiful coat.

14. mwat70

mwat70 Member

I don't mean to seem mocking, but what exactly is the problem with buckling in the front? I know Bogart tied it (frontally), but if it was meant to be tied, it wouldn't have a buckle and loops, IMHO. Sort of like putting one's trousers on backwards just to be different. Am I the odd man out here, or do some others of you just buckle it and be done?

By the way, Bates, that is a beautiful coat.

I'm the odd man out with you...! It just pains me against my OCD to not use the buckle. I've just bought a new trench coat (Dunhill) and have been using the buckle at the front - seems far more neat and tidy. I can't get on with the knot effect.

15. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

+1