• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to tie formal bowtie

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One thing, though: as Tomasso has noted before: the less fussing with the bow, the better. That goes for pocket squares, too. I've had a number of well meaning ladies, insist on 'adjusting' my bow ties, AND pocket squares, after I've arranged them, just as I want them to be. Frustrating experience.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
It takes a certain degree of sang-froid to tie your own, cause it will never look as "perfect" as the pre-tied jobs. Only after you accept your imperfection will you be comfortable in tying your own. The whole experience is very zen, except for the first 100 or so tries, which are maddening.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Thomas . . . pre-tied bows, lack spontaneity. The kiss of death, for any ensemble.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A bit of advice: Practice tying it on your thigh. It is much easier to get the hang of it that way. Once you have it down there, go to your neck.

That's a tip I got from a Nordstrom salesman.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To add to Thomas: once you have it tied, leave it the f*** alone. If you worry how it looks, it will drive you completely insane. It will go a bit lop-sided at times, things will stick out funny. Give it a quick straightening (sans mirror) and then leave it again for another 2 hours. If you feel the need to look in the mirror every 10 minutes to see if it's straight, I'll help you out: it's not. Leave it.

Your evening will be much more enjoyable.

b

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dirk diggler
It really is simple - it just takes a sh!tload of practice, old boy.

Couldn't have put it better myself. It is an incredibly simple knot, but the first time you try it... well let's just say you're going to be fashionably late to your party!
tounge.gif

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
once you have it tied, leave it the f*** alone. If you worry how it looks, it will drive you completely insane.

True words of wisdom. You must find perfection in your tie's imperfection.

Originally Posted by Ivan Kipling
pre-tied bows, lack spontaneity. The kiss of death, for any ensemble.

Hi Ivan - when I tie my own, I feel like the only man in the room who really dressed up for the occasion. Sometimes this is a bad thing, but as long as I remember to order my scotch with water, and keep my voice down and my stories short, then a good time will be had by all.

It's a nifty way to stand out without looking "different".

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
True words of wisdom. You must find perfection in your tie's imperfection.
Absolutely true. My four in hands used to drive me crazy since they were asymmetrical, even my half-Windsors seem to drift to one side. I solved this by a. getting a tie slide and b. realizing that there is a beauty to the FIH's imperfection.

Mentos

Reaction score
Whatever you do, don't expect that you'll get it right if you try for the first time fifteen minutes before you have to leave the house. Learned that the hard way.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a nifty way to stand out without looking "different".

Cravate Royale

Reaction score
Kindly visit my site http://www.cravateroyale.com as I have a free video demonstration that walks you through the steps. Hope this helps, and if you have any questions please call me at 925-548-0123 and I will gladly help.

Best Regards,

Cravate Royale

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
As the others have said, it's not that difficult, just takes practice. It's vital that you adjust the length properly.

I loved the ritual of tying my bowtie on the morning of exams, that and putting the carnation into the buttonhole.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads