• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to tie a tie ?

xabi.gordon

Reaction score
Well I m very new member to this forum but not the world, recently I have attended a professional party and saw the guys wearing amazing and colorful ties which is perfectly suiting them and the knot they have just maded is perfect.

I know how to tie a tie , but just want to know how to do it in a perfect way and what is windsor knot and how can tie a windsor knot ?

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
put the tie around your neck, take the one end, and cross it over the other end, then take the big end and wrap it around the skinny end....then, take the end and put it up and wrap it around the one thing, then wrap around the end again. then, take the wide end, and wrap around the "frame" you just made, and pull it up and around and through to form the shape.

clear as can be eh??
laugh.gif

google videos would be very helpful.

WorkingOnIt

Reaction score
Probably the most important thing to remember is to firmly hold the "knot" underneath with two fingers so it does not loosen when you are finishing up. That will probably significantly aid in your quest for a better knot IMO.

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

stubloom

Reaction score
Knowing how to properly KNOT a tie is important. Knowing how to REMOVE a tie is, in my opinion, even more important, and that is, by undoing the tie using the exact same steps you used to put it on -- EXCEPT IN REVERSE.

I can't begin to tell you how many fine ties I see that have been literally destroyed by pulling and stretching the thinner end of the tie through the knot. In other words, before we can even begin the cleaning process we need to take the tie apart, press the individual components and reconstruct the tie by hand. This is an expensive process that can be avoided by taking the time to correctly (and gently) remove your tie.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Like ESPN's Merrill Hodge
DM_090513_NFL_HOGEonTAYLOR.jpg
merrill.jpg

Fat-tie-knot

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jrd617
Like ESPN's Merrill Hodge

DM_090513_NFL_HOGEonTAYLOR.jpg

merrill.jpg

My gawd that's ginormous. What kind of knot is that?

Egert

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fat-tie-knot
triple or quadruple windsor, but not sure which one of them
confused.gif

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I think its called the anaconda

repp_fink

Reaction score

My Brit friends call a knot like that a "footballer's knot." Go figure.

djlukin

Reaction score
Important in full windsor to keep the knot part of the tie lower so that it doesn't ride up above the knot, resulting in a trapezoidal look instead of a nice triangular finish

Fat-tie-knot

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Egert
triple or quadruple windsor, but not sure which one of them
confused.gif

If thats true then he must have specially made extra long ties. Im 5'9" and getting anything more than a full windsor or double hannover out of a regular tie without it being too short is a challenge. In order to pull a triple or quadruple off his ties must be uber long.

FTK

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads