• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to tell someone they are not welcome in my home alone

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My girlfriend and I share a condo. Sometimes her friend will stay over on weekdays and sleep on the couch. I dont like this but I concede. My girlfriend's friend did this last night and I just found out this morning that the friend does not work today. My girlfriend and I do, so she would be staying in my home all day long unsupervised.

This makes me extremely uncomfortable. If my girlfriend doesn't have the heart to tell her that she cant do this then I will. I have no qualms about putting my foot down, but I dont want the friend to feel intimidated or uncomfortable when she comes over in the future. For the record, I am not friend's with this person. I'll walk out to say hello and chit chat then go off to read. Other than keeping her out of my home unsupervised I would like to be thought of as a welcoming host. Any advice?

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
Uh... I don't know. I would never leave anyone but family members and relatives at home if I had to step out, unless I've known the person for long enough to treat them as one. Isn't she old enough to know that when the hosts aren't at their house, she shouldn't be either? You could always hint at it like, "Do you need me to drop you off at your house on my way to work?" If, for any reason, she says no, then she's really really dense.

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
She is the most dense person I have ever met. She has also let my girlfriend stay at her home unsupervised a few times in a past, so I think she just assumes it's normal. I dont think it's a subject I will be able to beat around the bush about.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reggs
She is the most dense person I have ever met. She has also let my girlfriend stay at her home unsupervised a few times in a past, so I think she just assumes it's normal. I dont think it's a subject I will be able to beat around the bush about.

you wont. unfortunately you will just have to be blunt and state your case. You will probably hurt some feelings. but honestly, someone who gets their feelings hurt over something like that isnt someone id want in my life.

To me, thats just absurd. Id be uncomfortable having ANYONE in my home when im gone.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My girlfriend and I share a condo. Sometimes her friend will stay over on weekdays and sleep on the couch. I dont like this but I concede. My girlfriend's friend did this last night and I just found out this morning that the friend does not work today. My girlfriend and I do, so she would be staying in my home all day long unsupervised.

This makes me extremely uncomfortable. If my girlfriend doesn't have the heart to tell her that she cant do this then I will. I have no qualms about putting my foot down, but I dont want the friend to feel intimidated or uncomfortable when she comes over in the future. For the record, I am not friend's with this person. I'll walk out to say hello and chit chat then go off to read. Other than keeping her out of my home unsupervised I would like to be thought of as a welcoming host. Any advice?

Why exactly? Is she homeless? Bad home environment?

Doesn't make sense, unless she is raiding the fridge...
stirpot.gif

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
really? you don't let visiting friends stay at your house "unsupervised?" i usually don't let people i don't trust into my home in the first place. just deal with it. it'll make you sound like you are either calling her a thief or are hiding some massive collection of degenerate Appreciation you are worried about her stumbling upon.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
One of the oldest lines ever said by man...
"You don't have to go home........but you have to get da FUKKK outta here!"

uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx

Reaction score
sit them down, tell them that while your girlfriend is cool with it, you are not.

tell them you appreciate for understanding, and hope they don't take it as a personal attack.

shud be gud.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Buy the album "Thriller" by Michael Jackson. The next time she is there and you are getting rdy to leave, blast the song "Beat It!"
She should get the hint!

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My girlfriend and I share a condo.

She has also let my girlfriend stay at her home unsupervised a few times in a past, so I think she just assumes it's normal.
Whose name is on the lease? Who pays the rent? If the answers are anything other than "Me, and I alone pay the rent," you're SOL.

Why do you mind the friend staying in the condo unsupervised? Has she shown any indications that she's untrustworthy?

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
walk around the house naked

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads