• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to tell Slim Fit suits from Regular (tailored) Fit? and which is better for slightly FAT people?

hunted22

Reaction score
Hello all..

I'm 5,8 feet tall.. I used to be 205 pounds. I've lost weight and now I'm 172 pounds.
I have an event coming up and I want to get a new suit to fit me the best.. of course I do still have fat around all the important places.

I've never been comfortable in suits.. I have only one that I got to wear in fancy events, but I actually wore it only once after I bought it, and wore a shirt and a tie ever since.

I'm wondering which of these two suit styles should be better on me?.. someone said to me that slim fit suits should make me look slimmer since it's SLIM (wink wink) fit.. somebody else told me that slim fit would illustrate the curves on my body and make me look even fatter. Anyone have an opinion on this? what about one vs two buttons?

Also.. How can I actually tell if the suit is slim fit or tailored fit?? I mean how can I tell by looking at it or wearing it, because I thought that the key for telling them apart was the slim longer lapel, but almost every suit I saw when browsing stores the other day had a slim longer lapel.

thank you in advance

Makoto Chan

Reaction score
Hunted, you're responding to marketing words. "Slim fit" and "tailored fit" mean different things from different brands.

If you feel clueless and you don't have a lot of time before you need a suit for an event, why not step into your local Brooks Brothers, ask for help from a salesperson, try on a couple suits, buy the one that looks best, and let them tailor it for you (e.g. they'll set the sleeve length right and take in or let out the pants waist).

If I'm not mistaken, you can get a very nice suit for about a grand. Does that fit within your budget?

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stop worrying about whether it says "slim fit" on the tag, and focus on how the suit actually fits you. You need to try a few suits on to figure out what looks good on you. Slim-fit doesn't tell you much about how an item will fit you. Companies just know that it's what customers like to hear. It's like putting "natural" on a food product. Unless you get specifics, it means nothing, but it sounds good. Most people are just too simple to realize that.

Last edited:

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're slightly fat (my weight is exactly the same as yours), slim (drop 7+) suits usually won't fit all that well. Look for a drop 6. But it all depends on where your fat is. In any case, you should probably stay away from very shaped stuff. Pay attention to the rear vents and make sure they don't gape, also make sure the skirt (bottom part of the jacket) does not flare away from your body due to being too tight - there should be no shirt and tie visible below the first jacket button.

Last edited:

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, look for a more natural shoulder [one with less padding and structure]. If you carry your weight in the middle, which I suspect you do, having an overly structured suit can just make you look like a block (think NFL lineman at the draft).

Others have said it correctly: slim and tailored, etc. are just marketing words to drive traffic and interest.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It also depends on how you are built (Duh!).
I am about your weight and an inch taller.
I wear 44R and some 44Rs are skimpy on me,
because I am top heavy. In my jogging days
I weighed about 15 lbs less, but still needed
a 42 or 43. Overall, I would not recommend
a suit that fits close too the body with a short jacket-
the current "slim fit" style. A suit with more room or drape
would probably be better.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics