• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

how to tell if socks are dress socks?

max b

Reaction score
usual the key is the number of needles of the machine producing the socks (and the yarn used based on the machine of course).
more then 170 needles is considered a dress sock, because you have to use fine yarns and the knitting is very fine.
lower then 170 needles is usually a casual sock.
not really related to the style, fancy, colours...but more related to the thickness of the socks.
also the lenght is not an issue. Dress socks can be crew lenght and not over the calf (notwithstadning over the calf are more elegant).
Sport socks are usually under 120 needles.
those ones are sport socks.

nioh

Reaction score
facepalm.gif

Axel Ferguson

Reaction score
Guys, guys, is this a sports car? Don't sports cars just have big engines?

Tractor.jpg

sqweegle

Reaction score
+1

Epic

Edit: You registered just to post that? +one more.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if it says "Nike", you're doing it wrong

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have dress socks with logos, but they are tiny crests and not letters or slogans.

WallStPeon

Reaction score
Polo dress socks have logos...as evidenced by the Polo dress socks I'm wearing right now that have logos...

...but those are athletic socks.

Jeff Carlton

Reaction score
I have two questions myself - what is the difference between dress socks and casual dress socks? I'm ordering from ebay and can't really see the finer details of what I'm looking at.

Also, I have a size 12 foot and wear and Extra Wide shoe. I'm trying to figure out the sock size to order. Should it be 7-12, 10-13, or 12-14? My mom always did this stuff for me and just recently passed away before showing me the important essentials of life. Thanks.

PS
Re: the second question, if it matters, I have diabetes and like to wear crew socks for dress socks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics