• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to tell if pants (waist) can be let out?

fashof

Reaction score
Just bought a pair of khakis from GAP (Tailored Straight Leg) and was wondering if these khakis were designed like many others (made to be able to have tailors let them out a few inches if needed.) Yes I can get the right waist size but the thigh/leg taper would not be the same. I just need a few more inches in the waist for the to fit more comfortably otherwise the fit is great. Does anyone know if there is something I should look for to see if these can be let out or not? It would save me a trip to the tailor for no reason if I can find out for myself if this can be done first.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A couple of things in no specific order(without me having seen the pants):
A) ask a Gap associate
B) buy them and take to your tailor and ask him/her. you can always return them.
C) look inside the back/seat part of the pants where the "extra" material would be.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should see a V shaped strip of material where the seat joins. This is extra waist material. Often, RTW pants from places like Gap and the such do not have room to be let out.

Mike

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If the seat seam is folded over and stitched down, (like with jeans) then the trousers cannot be let-out. Jeans-type construction also has the waistband in a single piece. Trousers that can be let-out, show the extra material inside, about 1 ½" on either side of the seam, they also have a divided waistband.

Cotton as material (chino or corduroy) is likely to show the previous stitch marks, (unlike wool, where you only need a hot iron and a damp cloth and the marks are gone).

I wouldn't risk to let-out cotton trousers, taking-in is no problem. If the stitch marks remain, they will on the inside.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If the waistband is one piece all around (like jeans) and has no seam at the center back seam, then there is no outlet to make the waist bigger. You will the extra cloth you need to let out at the center back of the trouser.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A cheap trouser liek that is usualy not made to be let out any that's why there is an abundace of sizes. If you look though in the back on the crack line you will see where the extra material if any has been left in. You can measure that to see how much room if any has been left to let out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads