• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, youโ€™ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

how to "switch around" proportions?

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey SF,

My recent efforts to dress better have made me think about trying to look better in general. Right now, I'm about 6'1" and a bit under 150 lbs. However, a lot of that 150 is probably in my thighs (I have pretty big quads, relative to my height/weight) and I'm really scrawny/bony through the torso. That makes it tough to work out good proportions in clothing.

What I'd like to do is slim down the thighs without having too much of that weird look that guys get after losing muscle and increase muscle definition in the torso and arms without increasing bulk too much. FWIW, I'm 15 and still probably still have a bit of growing to do. I don't want to permanently screw up my body by too much intense lifting before I'm done growing.

Any tips on slimming down the thighs and increasing upper body definition without really changing my overall size?

Thanks much,
wmmk

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^you cannot spot reduce. you grow as a whole or shrink on the whole. certain areas store fat longer, but it is what it is.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most guys need bigger lower bodies.

Casey

Reaction score
To be honest, at 6'1", I don't think you want to lose thigh mass. I don't think you want to risk getting "chicken legs."

likeitaloud

Reaction score
I think it really depends on your bone/muscles.

Asch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's true that there are a lot of guys at the gym (curl jockeys) who have built big upper bodies but still have undeveloped legs, but among men who have never worked out much, I think there are plenty who have disproportionately scrawny upper bodies, and the emphasis on squats as the foundation of any workout program, common among many weightlifters today, seems misplaced for these guys. I also think the "huge legs" aesthetic valued among contemporary bodybuilders looks pretty odd to the general population; paintings and sculptures suggest that it's a historically unusual ideal, as well. To the OP: You won't have success slimming your thighs unless you lose weight all over your body, and you'll end up looking even worse in that case. I'd suggest instead focusing on building some upper-body mass to balance out your lower body. Any additional weight you add to your body will probably result in a bit more thigh muscle (since your legs power you around in all your daily activities), but you'll end up more proportionate overall if you add some size to your back, shoulders, etc. (Increasing your shoulder-to-hip ratio, in particular, will help you look better in clothes.) I'm not saying to neglect lower-body strength altogether, but just to skew your workouts toward the upper body, compared to some of the squat/deadlift heavy programs frequently recommended to lifting newbies, until your proportions look more normal.
FWIW, I'm 15 and still probably still have a bit of growing to do. I don't want to permanently screw up my body by too much intense lifting before I'm done growing.
Ordinary weightlifting is not going to screw up your growth. And at 6'1", you don't have anything to worry about in the height department anyway
smile.gif
If I were you, I'd try to take advantage of your youthful hormones and add a good 20 lbs of lean muscle to your frame over the next couple of years. You probably look normal among your peers right now, but by the time your reach college, you may feel comparatively tiny with 150 lbs on a 6'1" frame.

captainmo

Reaction score
Start working out, doing higher weight/fewer reps for your upper body, and lower weight/higher reps for your legs.

And, at 6'1 150lbs, I don't think you should be trying to lose weight any where. I'm 5' 9" 155 lbs and would consider myself skinny (though, on the upper bounds of skinniness).

lizmasc

Reaction score
You're still growing, you're 15! Don't worry too much about it and just live your life, you can't be 15 forever. And if that's mostly muscle you're talking on your legs then you're in for a treat. There was this kid that used to be called bubble but by their friends when they were little. His father used to say "they'll be jealous some day". You have no idea how much women look at men's butts, more probably than men watch women
tinfoil.gif
smiley2.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads