• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

how to stronglifts + running?

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I used to get in 15-20 miles a week running (3-4x 4-5 miles) - I know that's not serous distance, but it was enough for me to enjoy it and maintain it.

But, I picked up stronglifts 5x5 for the new year - and am loving it (squatting 75% my bodyweight - woohoo!!) - but just not finding a way to keep running in. Wanting to rest between squat days means skipping my runs. The only day I can do is during the once a week 2 day rest.

I'm toying with the idea of taking next week off and just running. And, if when I get back to stronglifts I can pick up where I left off OK, then maybe doing that every 3rd or 4th week.

Is that reasonable and still productive? and/or is there a better way? In the end, I just miss running, dammit.

shibbel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you love running that much, just cut back on the lift volume until you find a comfortable range. Being that, that much running is pretty catabolic, don't expect a ton of results from your lifts though.

Kajak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Or cut back on running to once a week, and find another cardio option (ie: erg, bicycling)

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
do 2 a days. lift in the AM run in the PM
or just go run after lifting, at first it's weird but you get used to it. last summer i was lifting and then playing soccer for 2 hours afterward because my schedule only allowed that, but i reduced volume to 80-90% ...

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Taking a full week off just to run will be unproductive in my opinion, that is if you want to continue your gains on the 5x5's. If you only picked it up recently you should steadily continue to gain.

Do you have any particular goals in mind? That would help find which one you want to put more emphasis on... But you should be able to maintain both, lowering the intensity and/or duration of the running would be good though. An easy 8-10 min run before lifting will warm you up for your workout. And a couple 3-4 mile runs during the week shouldn't hurt too much, as long as they aren't too intense and you are eating enough.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been doing Stronglifts since the new year and I run on the day after I workout. Usually, M,W, F for Stronglifts and T,Th,S for running. I don't run 4-5 miles though. I do more interval-type running: a warm-up, 5-8 periods of sprints followed by periods of jogging, and a cool-down.
On the other hand, if you only squat 75% of your weight, you may want to let go of the running for a while and concentrate on strength.

Henry Boogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would recommend extensive stretching before and after core lifts involving legs (squats/deads) and adding 10 minutes of light cardio after a session. For me, this has significantly reduced the DOMS I feel after squatting (and I squat in the 400's for reps) and enables me to do pretty much any cardio activity the day after squatting if I choose. Skipping a week makes the DOMS significantly worse and I couldn't run after squats if my life depended on it.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Lots of good info everyone, thanks much!

Originally Posted by Kajak
Or cut back on running to once a week, and find another cardio option (ie: erg, bicycling)
Ugh. I know, I know - it's probably the right thing to do. But having run for so many years, I have the daily urge to run. No matter what I'm getting out of 5x5 (and I am getting good results) I don't feel as "cleansed" like I do after a good run. Some might say I'm not squatting enough yet...

Originally Posted by shahanshah
do 2 a days. lift in the AM run in the PM
That's actually a good idea I hadn't thought of, but won't work with my schedule.

Originally Posted by rjmaiorano
Do you have any particular goals in mind?
Stronger via 5x5 but don't wanna give up running. I think I might have an option with your later commnet + others:

Originally Posted by rjmaiorano
lowering the intensity and/or duration of the running would be good though. An easy 8-10 min run before lifting will warm you up for your workout.
Originally Posted by Grayland
I do more interval-type running: a warm-up, 5-8 periods of sprints followed by periods of jogging, and a cool-down.
Originally Posted by Henry Boogers
adding 10 minutes of light cardio after a session.
I'm going to try something like that: shorter runs as warm-ups and/or cool-downs. I should be able to do more regularly even though I won't be getting the mileage like I used to. I think the psychology of squeezing in even short runs every day will help me a lot

bigbjorn

Reaction score
I'm struggling with this a bit as well, as I do 5x5, and am training for a marathon. My current schedule is:
Su: Recovery run (3-5mi easy)
Mo: 5x5
Tu: Speedwork or Pace
W: 5x5 and 3 mi easy run
Th: MW longer run
Fr: Rest
Sa: Long run

It's not perfect, as I'd prefer the midweek long run on Wednesday, and it only allows 2 days of 5x5, but it's working ok for me. I am considering flipping my Wednesday and Thursday, or alternately shifting my long run to Sunday. This has allowed me to stay at bench around 75% of BW and squatting 100% of BW, but I'm not really making any gains on this schedule. My speedwork suffers a bit from the 5x5 the day before, I guess, but I'm aiming for a 3:30-3:45 marathon, so my speedwork isn't really all that speedy anyway. Hope you get it figured out.

danilo

Reaction score
just run on your off days 75% your body weight on squats shouldn't be that taxing on you

I'm doing 1.5x my body weight and I'm about to start playing soccer with some friends, last time I played I noticed my lack of endurance conditioning, but no pain no gain, I'll have to start playing and running more often, should get me right up to condition.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by danilo
just run on your off days 75% your body weight on squats shouldn't be that taxing on you

I must be a serious leg wimp, since I've seen this in a couple of other comments. Realize, I'm someone who is totally new to squats - at 40 years old, I've never squat once before in my life. Granted, that sounds like a cop out. But as someone who's ~2 months in and squatting 135lbs (I weigh 180) for the first time, I'm pretty darn happy - but my legs are dead on my off days. I'm taking that as a good thing (recovery=muscle growth) but it's really crushed my running.

Things are getting better, and maybe I just need to keep pushing ahead and my legs will get used to the new regimen and handle it, but right now it's about impossible to do both. Even if I had the time, I physically wouldn't have the leg ability to do 20 miles in a week any more. Well, I could drag-arse through 4 miles, but not run.

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by razl
I must be a serious leg wimp, since I've seen this in a couple of other comments. Realize, I'm someone who is totally new to squats - at 40 years old, I've never squat once before in my life. Granted, that sounds like a cop out. But as someone who's ~2 months in and squatting 135lbs (I weigh 180) for the first time, I'm pretty darn happy - but my legs are dead on my off days. I'm taking that as a good thing (recovery=muscle growth) but it's really crushed my running.

Things are getting better, and maybe I just need to keep pushing ahead and my legs will get used to the new regimen and handle it, but right now it's about impossible to do both. Even if I had the time, I physically wouldn't have the leg ability to do 20 miles in a week any more. Well, I could drag-arse through 4 miles, but not run.

Thanks for the thread. I'm in the same boat trying to juggle both 5x5 and running, so this is very helpful.

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to get back in shape after throwing out my back a couple years ago. I'm doing weight lifting 3 days a week, and skiing the intervening 3 days. I used to swear by (and at) squats, but I'm cutting them ok for right now. I'm just trying to regain some body composition (back to my old lean self), and not gain any serious muscle or make any huge strength gains.

Becks23

Reaction score
Is it the actual act of running you enjoy or is it more so for health benefits?

I find my lifts suffer drastically when I run a lot for distance but it's usually fine if I'm in a more anaerobic activity such as soccer where it's lots of sprinting mixed with more mild jogging.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why do you want to run?

If it's just cardio the squatting should be challenging your cardio. Plus stronglifts is squatting what twice a week? You need to give your legs some rest. Even if the weight isn't much. Soon enough you'll be doing enough weight you'll have to consider a different program with squatting only once a week.

Not to mention are you eating enough? The point of things like stronglifts and starting strength are to build a strength base.

If all you want is a bigger cardio hit add a set of breathing squats at the end of your workout. But your recovery is going to be taxed even more. You aren't 18.

Rest is needed to grow just like working out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics