• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to stop biting the same spot on my lip?

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Because I'm about to knock my teeth out. You know how it goes, accidentally bite it once, get a bump which you continually bite accidentally for weeks. Is there a cure?

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did that. The only cure was aggravating myself to the point of employing due diligence.

Regards,
Huntsman

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
Because I'm about to knock my teeth out. You know how it goes, accidentally bite it once, get a bump which you continually bite accidentally for weeks. Is there a cure?

Yes, but it requires a certain intensity of commitment. http://www.postcardman.net/39681.jpg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One time I was going through this when I had a dentist appointment. I mentioned it to the dentist and he lightly filed down one of my teeth as there was a sharp bit that was making the problem worse. It helped immensely!

seanchai

Reaction score
I just bit a chunk of my lip off in this manner. It's pouring blood into my mouth. This sucks
frown.gif

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, it's not a habit, I'm biting it accidentally. Anyway, I think I've stopped biting it all of the sudden. The bump must have cowered at the sight of my boiling rage.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I have a part of one tooth that sometimes gets filed down sharp from poor occlusion. Occasionally it will attack my lip there, and compounding the problem, I have a tendency toward getting canker sores on mouth wounds. Anyway, the only real option I had was to use some 400 grit wet-or-dry sandpaper and sand down the sharp part, and then just become very conscious of how my mouth is moving.

Luckily, some steroid rinse (which will probably give me cancer or some syndrome) has almost completely cured my canker sore problem, which at times could be debilitating.

Oh, one other thing you could use is this kinda gross stuff called Kanka - it's a -caine type anaesthetic in a gluey protective base that forms a sort of bandage over the wound. It can at least help you to eat and talk if you have an emergency, but it doesn't last very long.

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RGH... I bit my bottom lip yesterday accidentally while eating and now a huge sore has developed. Because it's swollen, I keep biting it with my teeth when eating causing it to bleed and sting.

Any homemade suggestions for relief? I tried rubbing salt into it... hurt like a mofo, turned my gums all white and weird looking.

shellshock

Forum Mascot
Reaction score
i bit a slice into my tongue somehow awhile ago and it was excruciating to eat anything, especially pie.
i just kinda had to tough it out and drink lots of ice water and wait for it to heal up.
confused.gif

i do the mouth/lip biting thing once in awhile. you just have to make a conscious effort to not do it.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bandwagonesque
ARGH... I bit my bottom lip yesterday accidentally while eating and now a huge sore has developed. Because it's swollen, I keep biting it with my teeth when eating causing it to bleed and sting.

Any homemade suggestions for relief? I tried rubbing salt into it... hurt like a mofo, turned my gums all white and weird looking.

Read the post above yours

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Never open your mouth.

If you talk through your teeth like Clint Eastwood, it will be impossible to bite yourself.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you been grinding your teeth?? If so, the alignment of your 'bite,' may need attention. I find that whenever I bite the inside of my lower lip, it's after I've had a spell of gnashing and grinding. I have a scar on the inside of my lower lip, where it gets bitten, ALWAYS in the same spot. Miserable. My dentist told me that the best way to keep this from happening, is to stop grinding my teeth. I don't have one of those devices that some people resort to using, to restrict them from tooth gnashing.
Not yet, anyway.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads