• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

how to spot a quality tie

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This came up today.

While I'm sure it was an excellent post I am not quite sure what it is I am supposed to be looking at even with the description.

I am a noob and I would like to be able spot quality ties. Can anybody either explain more or direct me to a thread or some post where I can learn more?

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am an MC noob but do ties really need to be high quality? Are people washing them or something? I know quality=/= durability but when i look for ties I just find material, shape and pattern I like.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ugghhhh noobs.

Yes, a tie does need to be "quality", not because it is being washed or anything, but like everything else, you get what you pay for. Silk quality varies, construction, lining quality varies. Design quality varies. Yes, it is much easier to get away with a cheap tie than it is with a cheap shoe and there are many inexpensive ties which are quite servicable but take a look below for some quality stuff:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=104040

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Nordstrom Rack is a good place to go and test yourself. They have rack upon rack of ties from various makers - some are terrible quality, some are great. The prices aren't bad, either.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. Is it heavy?
2. Pick it up and tie a knot in it, (if you don't know how to do this without putting it around your neck, leave now) does it dimple naturally and nicely?
3. When you remove the knot, is it all creased up where the knot was?
4. When you roll it up onto itself, is it a nice thick roll? (not a flimsy roll that can easily be flattened)

if

1. yes
2. yes
3. no
4. yes

it's a must kop.

Done.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big Punisher
I am an MC noob but do ties really need to be high quality? Are people washing them or something? I know quality=/= durability but when i look for ties I just find material, shape and pattern I like.

I probably couldn't tell the difference between a $100 tie and a $200 tie, but really cheap ties tend to look awful. Better ties also make a nicer knot and dimple.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
1. Is it heavy?
2. Pick it up and tie a knot in it, (if you don't know how to do this without putting it around your neck, leave now) does it dimple naturally and nicely?
3. When you remove the knot, is it all creased up where the knot was?
4. When you roll it up onto itself, is it a nice thick roll? (not a flimsy roll that can easily be flattened)

if

1. yes
2. yes
3. no
4. yes

it's a must kop.

Done.

IMO, if the tie knot is beautiful and the tie doesnt develop heavy crease after untied, then its pretty high quality.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Re: how to spot a quality tie Spill something on it. something greasy

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Shhh, here's a secret: What many people consider a quality tie today isn't what was considered a quality tie yesterday, and won't be what people consider a quality tie tomorrow. Tie thickness, knot bulk, width, etc. are all fashions that come and go. Lately the trend has been for thick "luxury" ties, but sooner or later, they'll trim back down. Can't sell the same thing but for so many seasons.

Really, look for a tie that hangs straight, has a slipstitch, and doesn't hold wrinkles. Avoid those that look lifeless and have been pressed flat. But a tie needn't cost a fortune to do its job. As with everything we discuss here, we're paying for aesthetics. Buying Charvet, for example, doesn't guarantee durability -- really, it's often quite the contrary.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ties with seven-fold construction are generally considered to be good.

As far as materials go, I prefer twill over satin

Mild Mannered

Reaction score
I forgot what the question was because I was staring at BigBris1's lovely ****.
blush.gif

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stylesmurf
Ties are for keeping grease splatter off your $800 Kiton dress shirt anyway right? Why bother? *ducks* j/k.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads