• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to spend 5k on suit? Help me-

kong1801

Reaction score
Hello all! I am new to the forum. I have been reading this site now for the last two weeks consistently- I am going to graduate from college and going off to mandatory military service in Korea. I have a little over 5k to spend and would like to spend it on proper suits for job interviews! Frankly, I do not have any suit! just a peacoat for formal look. and I did intern at NGO where no one actually wears a suit! well I do have one black suit but yeah its black

Anyhow. I am studying in Saint Louis and regularly visit relatives in Chicago. I dont think I will have time to wear suit this year because of the military training, which start in July but plans to wear it 1-2 a week when my officiership starts in Jan 2012.

I am 5' 6'' (170.6 cm) and 130lbs athletic body with lean muscle. short but with good porpotion. I believe italian style better fits me for I do have shorter legs and double vents, yeah just doesnt work for me! 36S /46S for my peacoat.

Here is my option for $5000 budget (well subtract 1500 for burberry trench?)

1. a couple of Samuelsohn MTM or Coopley MTM from a local tailor (I didnt ask much but he said entry level fabric will be 600 <- speciall price during april and $1500ish for Zegna/ Harrison/ lesser. I need at least one suit for my graduation in may
smile.gif
)

2. Zegna MTM for 2500? I read some horrendous stories about Zegna MTM. many commented and left post that one needs to get a proper tailor or someone who can really properly measure you. Not having much experience with MTM or suit styling, I am just worried that I will not know the difference between proper tailor or sales associate from Zegna that just measure you and spend 2600 on a nice suit that doesnt fit me.

3. WW Chan? I can make their Chicago visit and planning to visit HK during this summer before military training.

4. good OTR suits and tailoring them (retail price though it is impossible to find anything 36S)

5. Maybe one nice suit from a good tailor? Or am I just too young for this? I read that Chris Despos is the best in Chicago area but is it just much since i do not have no suit to begin with?

Please share your opinions of my best option(s), what sort of style/silhouette would look best on someone relatively short and thin, and, if I go the OTR route, what makers provide the best style/silhouette. In other words, what would you do?! Maybe some of you wonderful folks can tell me what brands to look for, or if there is a great tailor I can go to or what?

Thank for your comment!

Macallan

Reaction score
Get two suits: navy, charcoal or mid-grey; both with spare trousers. In terms of style, keep it simple - single breasted, two button and double vent. Develop your style from experience and, from what you see and know.

MTM - you can go to a shop, have two people measure you and have good suit with the other being a bad fit. MTM is more about the person who takes the measurements rather then where you go, this could happen at Zegna or at a local tailors.
In defence of MTM; just because you to a store like Zegna, does not mean the person is not experienced in what they are doing. I have seen good and bad RTW/MTM/bespoke online and more importantly, in person.

Do not spend $3.5k on a suit, that is for the rich (who can afford not to wear the suit) and more experienced buyers. You may be better off the base cloth from the local tailor, say $800 with spare trousers ($1600) and get a trench; save the rest.

Do not spend $1.5k on a Burberry trench, US-based forum members can suggest cheaper options or where to find Burberry on sale. You should be able to get something for $400 and save the $3k.

kong1801

Reaction score
Macallan, Thanks for a comprehensive overview. So ill opt out from trench and look for sale notice then!

kong1801

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NORE
dodge the military service.

nah- i would rather kill those fat little 'father and son' duo up north.

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like others have said: Don't spend that much if you are only wearing this thing for job interviews. No one will notice or care. You can easily spend $1000 or slightly less and still get a good quality, well fitting suit after alterations are made.

And don't get Burberry. Period.

Fraiche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Navy suit - $900
Charcoal suit - $900
Night of debauchery, blow and hookers in your new suit before military service - Priceless

(In all seriousness, you should only get 1 suit since your body will most likely change after military service.)

kong1801

Reaction score
^ thank for the info again. Unfortunately BB small is a little big for me on the shoulder. and I plan to wear it for spring and fall without a jacket- I just have one more quick question on trench. Is Burberry Prorsum/ London Trench not worth buying at all? Almost everybody in this forum agrees on the fact that Burberry is overpriced and not worth buying. I have been reading esquire US UK and Korean version for a year now and articles I read complement for longevity and tradition of their trench coat. (well i guess they get paids for writing a article for them)

kong1801

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fraiche
Night of debauchery, blow and hookers in your new suit before military service - Priceless

all planned out and ready. and I am gonna work as intel officer for almost 3yrs so my body wont change that much dramatically.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kong1801
nah- i would rather kill those fat little 'father and son' duo up north.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!
lol8[1].gif

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can wear a suit 1-2 times a week while you are in the military?

kong1801

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragon8
You can wear a suit 1-2 times a week while you are in the military?

yeah well most guys in korea do their mand. service as PVT for 1yr and 10 month within their barrack and base but some can apply to be an officer and serve 3yrs full. and most intel officers work in and out of base.

Macallan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kong1801
^ thank for the info again. Unfortunately BB small is a little big for me on the shoulder. and I plan to wear it for spring and fall without a jacket- I just have one more quick question on trench. Is Burberry Prorsum/ London Trench not worth buying at all? Almost everybody in this forum agrees on the fact that Burberry is overpriced and not worth buying. I have been reading esquire US UK and Korean version for a year now and articles I read complement for longevity and tradition of their trench coat. (well i guess they get paids for writing a article for them)

I have an Aquascutum trench RRP £600 but found it for half-price, same look as traditional Burberry trenches. Besides the odd Inspector Gadget and Columbo joke, it get compliments.

The problem with Burberry is that they have too many options, so you have a range of different prices; and forget the fancy stuff too. Will you get a good product - yes, but not worth the premium.

Look on eBay if you want Burberry - seller with good rating, US based, etc. Maybe even consider a second-hand trench.

kong1801

Reaction score
^ Sure so brand name premium is just too much for burberry. I just want something durable but in traditional style. off the top of my head, only burberry came out! Well i m not an expert but a novice in fashion/style. Maybe i should to some research on good quality doubl breasted traditional trench then.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads