• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to speed up stiff shoe break-in?

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up a pair of leather saddle shoes that fit and look great. Only problem is the leather upper is a bit stiff. After wearing them over the weekend, they don't seem to be breaking in as quick as other shoes. Any advice regarding how to quicken the break-in process?

Thanks in advance!

Twotone

pdial

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Butter
Use a bigger shoe tree for a short period of time.

eh.gif

The Shoe Snob

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
take the end of a broom stick (wooden preferably and round) and use it to push against the liner of the leather (where the shoe is stiff) as if you wear trying to push a hole through the upper. Obviously don't put all of your strength into it, but if your shoes are not of super cheap quality this will help soften up the reinforcements that are put in between the upper leather and the liner, which are usually pretty stiff. A broom is not the only thing that you can use but it's handle is usually the perfect size for it. Sorry if this is confusing but it is hard to explain by words. But is a great way though to stretch out leather that is tight on your feet or soften up leather that is too stiff. Good luck

Butter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pdial
eh.gif

Worked for me but it was a pair of shoes that were too small for me so my regular shoe trees did the trick. These weren't super expensive shoes mind you. Let me stress again on the short period of time though. I left it in for bout 1 hour. If I were to do everything over, I wouldn't buy a pair of shoes that require breaking in.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There is an old army trick, some people swear by,
I've never tried it myself - so I cannot vouch for it:

Pee into the shoes, slosh the urine around and pour it out.
Then put the wet shoes on and go for a walk of an hour or so.
This is supposed to soften the hardest leather.

As I said, try it at your own risk. - No guaranties!!!

Kurt N

Reaction score
^ Sounds like the sort of thing the older guys recommend to the newbies. "That way your boots will be all soft and comfy during the snipe hunt, see?"

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
you can put the shoe's mouth over a boiling kettle for about 5 seconds so the hot steam goes into the show. The whole inside with warm up and get damp. Then put on your feet and walk around.

only possible side effect is that the insole might change aesthetically, but it will soften the leather right up.

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Massage and rub the shoe with hands so leather get soft

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wear them more often.

StopPolloition

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
There is an old army trick, some people swear by,
I've never tried it myself - so I cannot vouch for it:

Pee into the shoes, slosh the urine around and pour it out.
Then put the wet shoes on and go for a walk of an hour or so.
This is supposed to soften the hardest leather.

As I said, try it at your own risk. - No guaranties!!!

snork[1].gif

In the US Army, we never do this. In fact, I've never even heard of this trick. I've heard of soaking the boots in hot water and running in them. Peeing in them sounds way too hardcore for me.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
There is an old army trick, some people swear by, I’ve never tried it myself - so I cannot vouch for it: Pee into the shoes, slosh the urine around and pour it out. Then put the wet shoes on and go for a walk of an hour or so. This is supposed to soften the hardest leather. As I said, try it at your own risk. - No guaranties!!!
lol8[1].gif
And how, pray tell, do you get rid of the stench of the piss afterwards? No one should ever attempt this.

IronRock

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kurt N
"That way your boots will be all soft and comfy during the snipe hunt, see?"

This whole snipe being a mythical bird thing... I don't get it? It is a real bird that one can shoot. Difficult I grant you but perfectly normal....

or am I missing something...?

Kurt N

Reaction score
Yeah, true enough, it's a real bird. Nonetheless, in the Boy Scouts a snipe hunt is a traditional prank played on hapless initiates.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snipe_hunt

As the article notes, the armed forces actually have their own variations on the same theme, but "comfy boots while going to fetch a box of grid squares" didn't have quite the same ring to it. (And yes, a grid square a real thing, too
laugh.gif
.)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads