• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to slice whole crabs lenghtwise?

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what tool is used to cut crab in the manner below? I was told it was a really sharp knife, but I have a hard time believing it wouldn't crack the shell a bit and be messy. I've searched high and low on the net looking for the answer to know avail, if you know it, I would much appreciate. This would make crab eating so much easier.
GetAttachmentaspx.jpg
kingcrablegs.jpg

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
WTF is this ****.

Learn to pick your crabs, with your hands, like a man.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
actually, that's not hard to do. it' s not quite what it looks like. What they did was take the top shell off the crab (that's the part with the brown-gray fat in it), take off the legs, and then cut the body into sections. then they just propped the cut-side up.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
actually, that's not hard to do. it' s not quite what it looks like. What they did was take the top shell off the crab (that's the part with the brown-gray fat in it), take off the legs, and then cut the body into sections. then they just propped the cut-side up.
No, they actually do cut the legs down their lengths, like so (added above for others' clarity):
kingcrablegs.jpg
Either they do indeed just use a really sharp knife or they use something like a thin bandsaw to do that cut. It really makes crab eating a lot easier, and you make sure you get all the meat. I saw it cut like this a lot in Asia, but maybe not so much in the US cuz it's expensive to do?

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a) those are two different shots from two different varieties of crab. the first one looks like a hairy crab and, looking closely, it really doesn't look to me like the legs have been split. the second shot is of a king crab or spider crab and they have been split.
b) king crab is almost always frozen. that makes it very easy to split on a bandsaw.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
generally, you cook them first. they do make a kind of screaming sound then, though. cool.
it's only after they're dead that you pull their bodies apart and chop them into pieces. too bad.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
generally, you cook them first. they do make a kind of screaming sound then, though. cool.
it's only after they're dead that you pull their bodies apart and chop them into pieces. too bad.

True, but if you're a baller and buy the lobsters, you get to shove your knife through its brain while it is still alive.

The crab whining sound (actually just the air being forced out of its body, but I figure you knew that already), is actually kind of scary when you have 4 huge all-clad pots with 20 crabs in them and you're at your cutting board while it sounds like 20 crabs are all screaming for their lives.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
True, but if you're a baller and buy the lobsters, you get to shove your knife through its brain while it is still alive.

The crab whining sound (actually just the air being forced out of its body, but I figure you knew that already), is actually kind of scary when you have 4 huge all-clad pots with 20 crabs in them and you're at your cutting board while it sounds like 20 crabs are all screaming for their lives.

try throwing a pinch of salt on a lobster thats cut in half.. works like a charm to scare people out of the kitchen
smile.gif

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i was at a dungeness crab processing plant in northern california when they were cooking about 500 pounds at a time. awesome.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a) those are two different shots from two different varieties of crab. the first one looks like a hairy crab and, looking closely, it really doesn't look to me like the legs have been split. the second shot is of a king crab or spider crab and they have been split.
b) king crab is almost always frozen. that makes it very easy to split on a bandsaw.

Is the final answer then a bandsaw???

can non-frozen crab be split with a bandsaw? Is it just a meat-cutting bandsaw or something designed especially for crab?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I used to kill about 35 lobsters a day.
bigstar[1].gif
I actually find the act of ripping the gills off of a living soft shell crab and then cutting its face off to be much more disturbing. Disturbing in a good way, of course.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Svenn
Is the final answer then a bandsaw???

can non-frozen crab be split with a bandsaw? Is it just a meat-cutting bandsaw or something designed especially for crab?

nope. has to be frozen. raw, unfrozen, crabmeat has a kind of mucilaginous texture. wouldn't cut at all.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics