How to SHRINK one collar size?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Azure, Nov 13, 2008.

1. Azure

Azure Senior member

Hi folks

I found on my wardrobe two beautiful( 42 size) unused and never washed dress shirts.

I´m 41 on collar. So it was big with a tie on.

How can I wash or do to shrink an entire size?

Is there any trick as leting in overnite on hot/cool water? A full hours on a drier machine? Mediterranean sun? etc..[​IMG]

Thanks

2. erdawe

erdawe Senior member

Heat from water/ drying can shrink some cotton garments. But usually this is all around on the garment, and I doubt the collar would shrink all that much, if any through any kind of washing drying "tricks".

3. tlmusic

tlmusic Senior member

There is a place in Texas, Maldonado Custom Shirts, that will cut the back of the collar and make it a smaller size. After the process there will be small seam on the back of the collar, which will only be slightly noticable. There are pictures of the results on their website. They do good work and are inexpensive, so this is a possible option. This is their site: www.collarreplacement.com

4. niwawa

niwawa Senior member

go to tailor is your only option.

5. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

Sometimes you can throw it into the dryer wet, on high heat.

Caveats:

Different fabrics shrink to different degrees, and the shirt will shrink in all dimensions.

Also, fabric and any interlinings may shrink differently, ruining your shirt.

So Mr. Dryer the Tailor is a risky option.

6. Dewey

Dewey Senior member

move the button

7. Azure

Azure Senior member

There is a place in Texas, Maldonado Custom Shirts, that will cut the back of the collar and make it a smaller size. After the process there will be small seam on the back of the collar, which will only be slightly noticable. There are pictures of the results on their website. They do good work and are inexpensive, so this is a possible option. I am going to see... but cutting the back of the collar has been always a poor solution an not able to dress as on sport. but thanks! This is their site: www.collarreplacement.com
    go to tailor is your only option.
    move the button
    My tailor told me that moving the button could fit half a size,but not this case ,one and almost half a size. Replace the collars is the only possible solution by the moment, but I won´t do it... Thanks

8. why18

why18 Senior member

Starch the collar more often.

9. otc

otc Senior member

I guess I am not familiar with EU shirt sizes but is the differance between a 41 and a 42 very much?

If it is only a cm of differance, you could easily move the button and wear it (even if the collar ends up a little loose),