• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

how to sell a 30K grand piano??

Mustapha

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aXis888x
so my uncle gave my dad a 40k Steinway & Sons grand piano for his birthday one year (what the hell?? it takes up our ENTIRE living room) and he hasnt used it for over a year so he wants to sell it. hes tried a few places but no luck.

does anyone have experience with pianos, know where i could sell it, know who i could sell it to or want it themselves?

thank you

Isn't uncle going to be seriously miffed when he comes over one day and it's no longer there?

I mean ... if he can give your dad a 40K$ piano ... ain't your dad going to get himself written out of uncles will???
wow.gif

-Moose

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mustapha
Isn't uncle going to be seriously miffed when he comes over one day and it's no longer there?

I mean ... if he can give your dad a 40K$ piano ... ain't your dad going to get himself written out of uncles will???
wow.gif

-Moose

That's what I was about to say... Maybe it would go over a little if you guys donated it to a school or something? Cashing it in seems like a bad move if the uncle in question is still alive.

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
He had both a Fazioli and a Steinway D? That must have been one large apartment.

Jon.

it was the penthouse so yea, big place.

aXis888x

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pennglock
That's what I was about to say... Maybe it would go over a little if you guys donated it to a school or something? Cashing it in seems like a bad move if the uncle in question is still alive.

he will understand, we can just tell him our interests have changed. my dad is really into music but doesnt know hw to play piano..no one in the family does. not sure why he got i in the first place.

im not sure what the shipping will be but my dad will help pay for it.

i have an ebay ad up now, and im contacting some universities.

he really doesnt want to have to pay like 10-15% commission

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aXis888x
he will understand, we can just tell him our interests have changed. my dad is really into music but doesnt know hw to play piano..no one in the family does. not sure why he got i in the first place.

im not sure what the shipping will be but my dad will help pay for it.

i have an ebay ad up now, and im contacting some universities.

he really doesnt want to have to pay like 10-15% commission

Contact New England Conservatory, Berkelee School of Music and Boston Conservatory.

Jerome

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
does anyone have experience with pianos
When I sold my house a couple of years ago I also had a Bösendorfer piano in it that was 90 years old with ivory claviature [keys] but I gave that away for free so cant be of help...anyway, no need to stick overly long to old things if you dont have the space for them any more...
tongue.gif

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jerome
When I sold my house a couple of years ago I also had a Bösendorfer piano in it that was 90 years old with ivory claviature [keys] but I gave that away for free so cant be of help...anyway, no need to stick overly long to old things if you dont have the space for them any more...
tongue.gif

That must have been a great free gift.

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
tongue.gif

wow you're a baller. has your spot been in any music videos I'd be familiar with?

Jerome

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tbh I am ashamed to tell the truth, but what the heck: it was very out of tune and neither I nor my Mom who also moved out could play (only my granny)- so actually it was destroyed and taken aways in pieces...maybe many will cringe and cry when reading this, couldnt help it...the overall circs where quite desperate at that time...
musicboohoo[1].gif

edit: violinist my only excuse is that Im located in Vienna...**** my Moms even an artist and so am I...wot can I say? "Sic(k) transit gloria mundi"
wink.gif

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Tbh I am ashamed to tell the truth, but what the heck: it was very out of tune and neither I nor my Mom who also moved out could play (only my granny)- so actually it was destroyed and taken aways in pieces...maybe many will cringe and cry when reading this, couldnt help it...the overall circs where quite desperate at that time...
musicboohoo[1].gif

Sacrilege!

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
musicboohoo[1].gif

edit: violinist my only excuse is that Im located in Vienna...**** my Moms even an artist and so am I...wot can I say? "Sic(k) transit gloria mundi"
wink.gif

you live in Vienna and you threw away a perfectly good piano because it was out of tune?

You must be american.

Jerome

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes I understand your chagrin at that actually it hurts me too thinking of it, but we didnt have TIME and leisure and neither contacts or experiences to sell it off- we were concentrating on the property etc...whatever its too late now anyway, hope you can find a worthy buyer, there vio.! edit: oops I meant the OP in this thread...my melancholy has over taken me a bit..

p.s. Im only American when Im in Japan- cause thats what they're thinking of me looking so damn Yankee...(got a pic up somewhere check if you like..)

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes I understand your chagrin at that actually it hurts me too thinking of it, but we didnt have TIME and leisure and neither contacts or experiences to sell it off- we were concentrating on the property etc...whatever its too late now anyway, hope you can find a worthy buyer, there vio.! edit: oops I meant the OP in this thread...my melancholy has over taken me a bit..

p.s. Im only American when Im in Japan- cause thats what they're thinking of me looking so damn Yankee...(got a pic up somewhere check if you like..)

In Wien there are more places per square kilometer to donate that piano than anywhere else on the globe, personally that's what I would have done. Don't know how Austrian tax law works, but it would have been a nice tax write off as well.

Jerome

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thats maybe all true but me and my Mom being a tick impractical and knowing **** about any business-things simply couldnt cope with that...now after having had to work with legions of lawyers and being deceived by various greedy bankers were re wiser too...
wink.gif

anyway thats all off topic I guess...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads