• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to remove tongue pad adhesive?

buddy72

Reaction score
I got some AE's at a thrift store which had tongue pads which I removed. How do I remove the adhesive residue?

I have tried:

soap/water
paint thinner
acetone
Goo Gone
cooking oil

still sticky ....

trader

Reaction score
you could glue a thin piece of matching leather over top of it

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The paint thinner should work, but you have to work it and get new cloth on each swipe.
Failing that....try varsol on a terrycloth, and rub me boy-o until she comes off.
Mineral Spirits are another option, but you won't need that.
Let dry for 1 hour after.

kraftar

Reaction score
Olive oil always works for me... you need to rub it in for a few minutes. If there's alot of adhesive then you might need to do this a couple of times.

I've also heard from people who use peanut butter to remove adhesive from glass (car window stickers, etc.) but I've never tried it and I'm not sure I'd want to put peanut butter on my shoes.

scooby-doo

Reaction score
Just this morning I removed the tongue pad from a pair of pre-owned shoes. I tried nail polish remover but it did not remove all the adhesive. I then used a product called "Goof Off" made specifically to remove gum, adhesives etc. It was excellent - all sticky residue is gone.

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If GOO GONE does not work, there is a product called Grandmas Remover that is supposed to do a good job on removing sticky residue.

MitchConner

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering if any of the above mentioned adhesive remover remedies (Goof Off, Goo Gone, acetone, etc.) harm the shoes?

I have a pair of Johnston Murphy dress shoes that had tongue pads in them. I removed the pads which were ridiculously worn, and rubbed out a lot of residue, but there's still a tiny amount making them sticky.

simplec6

Reaction score
3m Adhesive Remover is better than the Goof-Off, Goo-Gone, etc, in my experience.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads