• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

montmorency

Reaction score
Do you do the same thing to remove cream polish as wax? I feel that my cream polish has slightly darkened a couple pairs of my shoes and I would like to get them back to the original color.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by montmorency
Do you do the same thing to remove cream polish as wax? I feel that my cream polish has slightly darkened a couple pairs of my shoes and I would like to get them back to the original color.
Since most creams are water-soluble, you might get by with just a water-soaked cloth. You could try that first. If it didn't work, you could get out the alcohol--rubbing form or vodka.
wink.gif

Edit: Additional thought: You know, if vodka really works in removing polish, this would suggest that you could cut the rubbing alcohol somewhat with water and get the same effect, at the same time as reducing the chances of any undesirable side effects.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roger
Since most creams are water-soluble, you might get by with just a water-soaked cloth. You could try that first. If it didn't work, you could get out the alcohol--rubbing form or vodka.
wink.gif

Edit: Additional thought: You know, if vodka really works in removing polish, this would suggest that you could cut the rubbing alcohol somewhat with water and get the same effect, at the same time as reducing the chances of any undesirable side effects.

If alcohol worked well to remove polish (I'm not sure it does), you wouldn't want more water in there. Water on leather that is unprotected by polish is a bad thing. It would be better to use stronger alcohol and less of it.

wpeters

Reaction score
I employed the lighter polish (wax) method described by the experts above, and it worked flawlessly. I applied a good amount of the lighter wax to the affected areas, and rubbed the darker polish off with an old cotton towel. I did not allow the lighter polish to dry at all.

It required a bit of elbow grease and some time, but worked shockingly well. The shoes are now back to their original condition, and I'm thrilled with the results.

Thanks to all for their input.

Deepak Chugh

Reaction score
HELLO SIR..I TAKE RED CHEIF LAETHER SHOE..LIGHT BROWN ..BUT POLISHED DARK TAN.....SO LOOKING UGLY PLZ SUGGET ME ..HOW I REMOVE IT

pk977

Reaction score
Same question, please posting that method to youtube

Roger Everett

Reaction score
DO NOT USE ACETONE OR LAQUER THINNER. It will very likely remove or dull the dye on the shoe, and leave the leather somewhat dried out.

All shoe polish is either petroleum or oil ( generally mink oil ) based. Although when you apply a new coat it melts in to the old coat, it won't loosen it up enough to completely remove the darker color. To remove the polish/ wax, wipe down with paint thinner ( mineral sprits ), it will remove the wax/ polish, without damaging the shoe or leather. If you have a shoe with broging or similar , you can lightly scrub with a new wax applying brush or a soft tooth brush ( wetted with the paint thinner )-- dabbing or wiping off with rag as you go. When you get it where you want it, let it dry ( won't take long ), apply conditioner and fresh polish/wax. I would give it 2 coats, buffing between.

Now if you have a build up of heel & sole paint ( it is like a water based paint, atleast the AE I use is ). It can be removed or cut down with lacquer thinner, being carefull not to get on upper. Then redo.

I have done all of the above with no problem.

Roger

Peter M

Reaction score
Hi,

I used the wrong polish on brown shoes which became streaky and with blemishes. Used the many chemicals suggested, but with no luck. In desperation, I tried WHITE SPIRITS - it did the trick!

Peter M

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
pk977 your avatar kills

atia2

Reaction score
I'm no expert, but isn't Saphir Renomat the go-to product for stripping? It has always done the job for me and never damaged the leather. Am I missing something?

Reaction score
Try a little rubbing alcohol on toilet paper. Test a tiny section fo the shoe with a Q-tip dipped in alcohol to make sure it is removing polish and not the base leather dye. If this works use fresh paper and alcohol for every swipe and do not overwork one area.

rwaltz

Reaction score
i had the same problem,trying
to remove the old wax.i went on the Internet,
looked up,how to spit shine shoes.their were so many web sites
i found a military web site,how to shine your shoes.
as reading on.
i found how to take off old wax on a shoe.
now,i followed his instructions.
but,be very care full,use a lighter,but,i choose using a hair dryer
blow on the shoe,when,you see like a finish shine.
take a cloth, and rub around the shoe.
use this system many times,until you notice,the old wax is gone.
yes, this did work for me.
caution;;
using a lighter,watch out don't let the flame hit the shoe
also,using a hair dryer,don't let it hit the shoe.
i Hope,in what i said, will help many others,
with the same thing, getting of old shoe wax.
if their is some more suggestions please be free to mention your other suggestions,

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads