• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

how to remove leather pigment

tomvidelo

Reaction score
I just bought some military boots for £50. They're my first pair of boots so I went cheap first to see if they suit me. The trouble is that the brown pigment came off on my cloth when I first polished them. Is there any way to remove all the excess pigment until only the bare minimum remains? I just don't want my trousers getting stained. thanks.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tomvidelo
I just bought some military boots for £50. They're my first pair of boots so I went cheap first to see if they suit me. The trouble is that the brown pigment came off on my cloth when I first polished them. Is there any way to remove all the excess pigment until only the bare minimum remains? I just don't want my trousers getting stained. thanks.

Angelus deglazer works, as well as Meltonian color preparer and Afta.

After you use it you will have to put on a few very very thin layers of polish and buff one layer and buffing at a time to bring back the shine.

tomvidelo

Reaction score
thanks very much. how much pigment will the product take off? i take it it'll still be brown, but what will it look like once i've stripped the finish?

tomvidelo

Reaction score
and would regular white spirit work? since i live on a small island a lot of places don't ship here.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
and would regular white spirit work? since i live on a small island a lot of places don't ship here.

It sounds like you have much bigger problems than just boots.

You should honestly just use some rubbing alcohol to get excess polish off and then repolish them a few times. The other products will really strip the finish off because they contain acetone. Also it really depends on the finish the boots already have and the type/quality of the leather. If you want some better responses you should post some photos.

tomvidelo

Reaction score
image1xxl.jpg
they're browner than they appear in that picture, but that's a good idea of the finish they have.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
image1xxl.jpg
they're browner than they appear in that picture, but that's a good idea of the finish they have.

Honestly, I don't think you have to worry, or do anything. I have boots that I polish regularly and wear with light trousers and I have never had an issue with polish getting on my trousers. Just use a little bit of polish, let it dry, rub briskly with a cloth to get off excess then buff with a horsehair brush. I don't think it will be an issue for you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads