• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to remove dog doo from one's shoes?

NukeMeSlowly

Reaction score
What a way to come home last night. Enter my house, sit down to take off my shoes... "Honey, why does it smell like dog **** in here? ****!"

They are leather soled AEs (fortunately not gym shoes with the million grooves on the rubber soles) and I got the bulk waste off of them with paper towels and multipurpose cleaner but the smell still lingers somewhat. I would appreciate any suggestions on how to fully clean them, ideally with some average household product but I will go buy a specialty cleaner if that is necessary.

stach

Reaction score
Try scrubbing with alcohol on an old toothbrush.

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Edit: Forget the toothbrush altogether -- that's asking for trouble. Put the shoes on and find some dirt or sand to stand in and scrape it off that way. You can use a cleaner or something to wipe of any residual odor, but only after you've removed pretty much all the substance.

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Here's my dog **** story.
As a teenager I spent every summer on Cape Cod. We were a wild bunch of priviliged kids living a haphazard lifestyle and getting pretty drunk and stoned whenever we could.
We were partying pretty hard one night and as a course of having extreme munchies this evening we decided to get in the car and go to our favorite Chinese restaurant. Usually there were about ten to twelve of us so we would have quite the smorgesborg.
Wearing shoes was something we rarely did and at that time, 60's, it was quite fashionable.
Well, you know those driveways that are made from those small pea stones, most driveways were made of them on the Cape. The cars were parked there and as I reached the car I was to be ferried in, I stepped onto the largest pile of dog sit. "Oh, **** man, I just stepped into your dogs pile of ****, man" I said to my freind who lived there.
Just as I said that, the door to the car that I had just opened, closed shut on one of my fingers. Now here I am, one foot in dog **** and one finger slammed into the door. What do I do first? Being stoned didn't help.
I now had to be transported to the hospital for the finger was pretty bad, and I found who my freinds were because no one wanted me in their car with dog **** on my foot.
Well the rest of the story is pretty boring, stoned, sitting in the emegency room smelling like dog ****. We've had some pretty good HA HA's over that escapade.

Best Regards,

Gary

P.S. In regards to your question. The nearest stick and some freshly mowed lawn has always been my freind when I had shoes on.

nmoraitis

Reaction score
This has happened to me, but with racoon dodo. I used very hot soapy water and an old tooth brush. I was able to get the dodo and odour out completely.

stach

Reaction score
It happened to me with coyote poop. (Very long story.) The soles were Vibram so I was able to let them stand in shallow water to get rid of quite a bit of it.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Wet grass has always been the best option IME. If necessary a kitchen brush or similar on its last legs can be employed. Be careful around the upper leather though - don't soak it.

dirk diggler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"shuffle" thru wet grass and try walking thru dirt or sand followed by more wet grass. always does the trick for me.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncaring
Lysol them.

Good grief, that threat is five years old!

I presume, by now, either the smell or the shoes will have gone and the OP is no longer in need of help.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads