• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to remove creases from a cashmere scarf?

stylemeup

Reaction score
I bought a cashmere scarf and the seller shipped it to me in a USPS flat rate mailing envelope.

When I took it out, it had crease marks all over the place from where it was folded by the seller.

What can I do to get rid of these crease marks?

Is it a safe to use a steamer on them? Would that remove them?

I don't even have a steamer at the moment though, is there anything else I can do to remove the creases and not damage the scarf at all?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
They'll go away with wear. Alternatively, you could hang it up in the bathroom and leave the shower running--but don't blame me if it explodes.

$unny

Reaction score
they go away... put the creases where you want them (me: down the middle) then rub it smooth if ur bored. these wont be the last creases u get.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
They'll go away with wear. Alternatively, you could hang it up in the bathroom and leave the shower running--but don't blame me if it explodes.

Just make sure you're not anywhere nearby if it does. The process of removing cashmere shrapnel from human skin can be painful and very time consuming. Those fibers are tiny.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have steamed and even pressed mine to get rid of wrinkles. Be sure to use a pressing cloth if you press it.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
The process of removing cashmere shrapnel from human skin can be painful and very time consuming. Those fibers are tiny.

There is no 'poof' louder than the 'poof' of exploding cashmere.

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is no 'poof' louder than the 'poof' of exploding cashmere.

The poof of AF's head exploding when he reads a post by A Y comes close.

Mauby

Reaction score
If you gently hand wash it and lay it flat to dry, they should be gone.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mauby
If you gently hand wash it and lay it flat to dry, they should be gone.

That seems like overkill.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That seems like overkill.

Not only that, why wash something if it isn't dirty? You only introduce some other variable that might increase your disatisfaction with the scarf (wrinkling, fading, pilling, etc.) My cashmere scarfs will probably fall apart before I actually have to wash it.

Mauby

Reaction score
Merely a suggestion gents. I usually wash cashmere before wearing it the first time. Hand washed with a dab of Johnson's baby shampoo. But, that's just me. Some of you may be gasping in horror.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Merely a suggestion gents. I usually wash cashmere before wearing it the first time. Hand washed with a dab of Johnson's baby shampoo. But, that's just me. Some of you may be gasping in horror.

Why do you pre-wash it?

Mauby

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FIHTies
Why do you pre-wash it?
Just an old habit from backpacking where I wash something before wearing it for the first time. I'm probably just a germ freak. I sometimes wonder if the cashmere item I just bought has been worn & returned.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Just an old habit from backpacking where I wash something before wearing it for the first time. I'm probably just a germ freak. I sometimes wonder if the cashmere item I just bought has been worn & returned.

Oh god. I think I'm going to wash all my cashmere this weekend.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads