• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

How to put together outfits with an ivory/cream silk herringbone jacket?

lalaland

Reaction score
So I made the mistake of entering an Off Saks outlet today because they had giant "sale" signs in the window and finding a silk Canali blazer marked down from $1,500 to $169.

Should've left my plastic at home, but I didn't and so I bought it. I also picked up a Calvin Klein Collection suit marked down from $1,400 to $279 but that's a story for another thread. Calvin Klein Collection gets no love here but for $279 I thought it seemed quite nice and a good value.

Helpful advice on combinations to wear with this Canali jacket much appreciated.

The only way this beginner can think to wear it is with a white open collared shirt and perhaps navy slacks or dark denim. The logic being that the jacket itself looks nice and is a bit attention grabbing, so leave the rest of the outfit more subdued to balance it out. Does that make sense?

But aside from these rather boring combos I'm not sure what to do with it. This is my first light colored jacket. The shininess of the fabric and the fine texture of the pattern leave me scratching my head as to what the texture and pattern (or lack thereof) of shirts and possible ties that would look nice.

Work-appropriateness is not any kind of concern. The places I will likely wear something like this are out on the town - restaurants, theater, clubs, etc.

But frankly I'm bored of this look but not knowledgeable enough yet to start putting slacks and tie combinations together. I'm studying the "Practical Thoughts on Coherent Combinations for Beginners" thread but currently I'm still at a loss. This seems like a "country" jacket but the sheen and the silk material make it seem more city, I think??

I'm thinking maybe just to branch out to colored shirts, but stick with no tie and the dark denim for now. Baby steps. I do have a very light lavender (almost a white really) Eton shirt with a cutaway or spread type collar. Also a light pink oxford with a point collar.

Since the jacket is a light color - would light colored ties be better or dark colored ties? I tend to favor solid color ties - not into patterns or florals really. I do like texture in a tie but I'm not sure how to best blend a silk herringbone jacket texture with the tie.

Jamesgatz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
White cotton, linen, or wool gabardine dress pants, light blue or white dress shirt, and blue tie should work for smart casual.

lalaland

Reaction score
Ahhhhhh - thank you! I didn't think of white pants. So as for texture mixing - linen gets a naturally wrinkly look which I like, but it won't look weird coupled with the fine texture of the jacket eh?

Birks and Grey Socks

Reaction score
So many options with this jacket. Don't be afraid of the FU factor since you aren't going to work in it.

I have a similar cream blazer and a off white one too. I usually pair it with some indigo or navy Incotex, and a pink, blue or a pastel green shirts in gingham, stripes or solids. You can go bold with the shirt as this is a pretty conservative blazer.

A white shirt under this blazer is a bit ho-hum. And makes you look like you have no sense of adventure when it comes to style.

If end up hating this jacket and it's a 40R, feel free to donate it to me.

Last edited:

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Here are some pics that should give you some ideas on how to wear a light colored silk or linen jacket and accessories:

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
White pants could make it look like a failed attempt at a suit, For pants, mid-gray is another alternative.

Naka

Reaction score
I was just thinking about this the other day. Light gray would work too, and I thought an olive pant on the paler side would be interesting. As long as you stay on the pale side for shirts, I don't really think you can go wrong.

Last edited:

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite summer fabric?

• Seersucker

• Fresco

• Linen

• Silk

Results are only viewable after voting.