• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to pull off a denim shirt?

thereverend

Reaction score
Just when I thought I had mastered my denim jacket, I went out and bought a Wrangler denim shirt. It fits well and is cut surprisingly slim. The denim is rough as hell, but I am sure it will give over time. Anyway, I can't figure out the best thing to do.

The shirt is waaaay too long. I can tell that whoever designed it really wants me to tuck it in. However, I don't really like tucking in very much, so I am thinking about having my girlfriend finish the bottom of the shirt for me.

I did wear it today with Levi's 501XX (STF), black Frye Harness Boots, a brown schott flight jacket, and a black beanie, but I had to tuck it in because it looked absolutely absurd hanging out of my relatively short jacket.

Any other ways to wear this thing well? Any pics, tips on breaking it in, etc?

Thanks,

-rev

Reaction score
^ yawn.

denim shirt looks best sloppy, IMO. cuffs pushed up, minimally buttoned with a henley underneath, wrinkled. i wouldn't wear a denim shirt with a denim jacket, though, that's kinda perverted or something. but denim shirt and jeans is a big yes.

thereverend

Reaction score
Yes, I agree about the denim shirt/denim jacket combo. Seems to be a bit much. I'll try everyone's suggestions so far; maybe its best to save the shirt for days that jackets aren't as important.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
I've never been a big fan of 'em.

Brian SD

Reaction score
I agree with DDML's recommendation. My immediate thoughts were that it sounds very 45rpm-esque.

seamless74

Reaction score
so seriously im lookin to get a vintage shorthorn levis denim shirt,, but im ultra concerned about the length... i understand the sloppy look i agree 100% i dont wanna tuck it in but at 5'6 how do you deal with the length which has got to be prolly at least 30" .. can a tailor fix this for you ? would you trust the average tailor to fix this for you? and the sleeve lengths as well seem to be ridiculous 32' or 33' who needs sleeves that long?

please help i wanting a shorthorn sawtooth bad as well as the wrangler work shirt but i just dont know what to do...

any feedback appreciated..

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by seamless74
so seriously im lookin to get a vintage shorthorn levis denim shirt,, but im ultra concerned about the length... i understand the sloppy look i agree 100% i dont wanna tuck it in but at 5'6 how do you deal with the length which has got to be prolly at least 30" .. can a tailor fix this for you ? would you trust the average tailor to fix this for you? and the sleeve lengths as well seem to be ridiculous 32' or 33' who needs sleeves that long?

please help i wanting a shorthorn sawtooth bad as well as the wrangler work shirt but i just dont know what to do...

any feedback appreciated..

Shouldnt you be able to get a wrangler denim shirt that fits? They are sized as dress shirts. The body length might be aproblem, but should be very easy for a tailor to fix with the Wrangler. Im unsure how the levis shirt looks a the bottom..

and for who need as a 32 length sleeve? My wrangler shirt is size 16/36 and the sleeves are perfect
marchal.gif

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As for pulling of denim shirts, I treat mine as any shirt (except not wearing them awith denim jacket..), and wear different sorts of denim shirts (faded levis and lee, raw wrangler, some chambrays) with chunky cardigans, often buttoned all the way. Never tucked into pants though, but I dont do that with any shirt.

Today a faded lee denim shirt with a dark blue/white norwegian styled wool cardigan with reindeer patterns
smile.gif

entropy kid

Reaction score
I often treat heavy denim shirts as light jackets for layering. Say a well worn Levis shirt over an AA longsleeve thermal. Add a M65 on top if it gets colder (but never ever a denim jacket, I think that is trying way too hard).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads