• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

how to protect the sole of your shoe from easily wearing in high-wear areas

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
anyone ever use any product to help prolong the life of the original sole/shoe/heel?

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
taps or topy. lots of people add them to their shoes, although I usually don't unless for whatever reason they came that way. i have what appears to be a half-topy job on a pair of bruno magli chelseas (I think they came from the factory like that), and had toe and heel taps on a pair of C&J weymouths (bought the shoes off one of the sellers on this forum, he had the taps applied). I took the toe taps off, left the heel taps on.

any reputable cobbler should be able to handle this - i think maybe $30 but i've never had it done myself.

i think there have been quite a few threads on this in the recent past, so you might want to run a search as well on these terms.

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoVaguy
taps or topy. lots of people add them to their shoes, although I usually don't unless for whatever reason they came that way. i have what appears to be a half-topy job on a pair of bruno magli chelseas (I think they came from the factory like that), and had toe and heel taps on a pair of C&J weymouths (bought the shoes off one of the sellers on this forum, he had the taps applied). I took the toe taps off, left the heel taps on.

any reputable cobbler should be able to handle this - i think maybe $30 but i've never had it done myself.

i think there have been quite a few threads on this in the recent past, so you might want to run a search as well on these terms.

im looking to do this on a pair of brown ferragamo monk shoes brand new

do these alterations looks strange? the shoes are very sleek

billiebob

Reaction score
Topy will be bearly if done correctly. It's around 2mm thick. I do it to shoes I plan to wear in the rain. I also use heel and toe taps on top of the topy, because I wear them out extremely quickly otherwise.

For my best dress shoes, I only apply topy to the heel and toe, which really makes a difference in the longevity, but doesn't change the walking characteristics at all.

I really feel heel taps when walking, but not so much the small toe taps.

I do my topy work myself, buying supplies at a popular nyc shoe repair supply store.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm eyeing a pair of used AEs on eBay that has plastic toe taps. I know that metal taps are usually installed by removing some of the sole but plastic are not. So what I'm wondering is, what are the chances that I can remove the taps and replace them with topys without having to have them resoled? Also, are the taps covering up wear? The shoe's uppers look very good but usually I try and gauge a bid based on sole wear...
399377623_46d49e5bb4_o.jpg

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jared
what are the chances that I can remove the taps and replace them with topys without having to have them resoled?
Although I'm not a cobbler, I think that they are Topyable in their present state.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
Although I'm not a cobbler, I think that they are Topyable in their present state.
+1, there's not much wear there and you can see the taps were put on when new since there is no wear just behind them.

billiebob

Reaction score
There is no wear under those taps and the shoes are perfectly topyable. I've topied (lots of new words here) soles that were already well worn and they turned out to stick even better to the worn soles than had I applied them to new soles.

I STILL use plastic toe taps (though smaller than those on your shoes) because even topy is no match for pavement if you wear your toes out like I do.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can buy topy material online? I've been looking for the longest time, with no success.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From what I understand from cobblers, you have to slightly sand a new sole to topy it or it won't stick.

Leaveitothexperts

Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Harris
Does anyone know where I can buy topy material online? I've been looking for the longest time, with no success.

bump!

I'd like to know too . . .

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Leaveitothexperts
bump!

I'd like to know too . . .

So would I - plus brass toe taps
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics