How to Press Your Trousers the Murl Way

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Murlsquirl, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Asian Afro

Asian Afro Senior member

2. GBR

GBR Senior member

Is this not just a normal way to press trousers - something which I was taught in my youth? I would agree that many probably don't know about given how standards have and continue to slip.

3. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

I use it for quite a while. When it gets something on it that could be transferred to the trousers, it's time to wash or get rid of it.

The dry cleaners sucked. As I'm sure you know, much more time than money. I would have loved to drop them off for $6 if I could rely on them coming back sharp.

Yep. Shocker? You thought my momma named me murlsquirl?

:slayer:

Right on both counts.

4. gs77

gs77 Senior member

Yes it is, but nowdays, in the developed Western world, kid needs to join the army to learn what were once basic adulthood skills, used to be learned from parents. Like using fork and knife, or cleaning own shoes, or pressing trousers, or buying decent shirt...

Or if they don't go through the army training, then they visit forums like this with questions: "How many times do you use the press cloth before you junk it?"

I sometimes wonder what are parents doing these days? Or grandpas, uncles...?

Anyways, got up on the wrong foot. Murl, good stuff, I applaud you for the effort!

5. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

Mobile Infantry made him the man he is today.

[​IMG]

6. gs77

gs77 Senior member

For me it was like: "hey boy, it says here you know how to ski...". Yes sir. " Good, mountain infantry then!". Shit...

7. Caustic Man

Yup...
    [​IMG]

8. Murlsquirl

Had to Google "what is Mobile Infantry" ...:hide:

9. gs77

gs77 Senior member

Hahahahaha

10. Caustic Man

Of course you did. Read moar SciFi...

11. powerkicker

powerkicker Senior member

I just did my flannels. They look great. I used a cotton T shirt for a pressing cloth. I used a hint of steam. Thanks for the tip, Murl!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016

12. razl

razl Senior member

I'm going to bend the topic slightly only because if people have read this far, they're above average serious about ironing in general.

I know Murl talked about the $100 Rowenta, and if you're just been using a crappy iron from the local box store or big lots then that Rowenta is going to be a big step up. But, if you can swing it, I got the Rowenta DG5030 like this one on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Rowenta-Station-Stainless-Soleplate-1750-Watt/dp/B000MT519O

[​IMG]

See what that iron is sitting on? It's a water tank, one that provides relentless steam. It's not water in the iron, the iron has a hose to the tank that holds the water. It will steam, steam, and steam. And the steam is fine - not splatters of water droplets - and it's (relatively speaking) dry. With a full tank and a solid 4 minute per shirt regimen, I can do about 9 shirts (though I usually only do 4 or 5 at a time). without break. It's a wrinkle flattening monster. Oh, it's got a stainless steel soleplate too; no rust or weird color problems after years of use.

I bought mine about 4 or 5 years ago and never looked back. At the time, that much for an iron was a big purchase for me, but I haven't had a single shirt dry cleaned since. I mean it's such a good tool for the job that I actually enjoy a half hour's worth of ironing with some music/talk on in the background. A little vino too.

There may be better models out now, but mine is still going strong and I love it. I couldn't recommend it more. The absolutely only flaw (and there are models that have this) is that you can't tell how much water is left in the reservoir while it's running and you can't add/refill the water while it's on - you have to turn it off, wait for it to cool, and open the tank. Neither has been a deal breaker for me because a full tank has almost always been enough for everything I wanted to do.

Hope that helps somebody, back to our original Murl programming!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016

13. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

Dude!

14. Murlsquirl

Sweet!

I've used one of those, Razl. They are nice, but I just couldn't bring myself to fork out the dough.

15. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

Thanks to Murl for going to all this trouble.

I’ll add that in my experience having a sturdy ironing board can make life easier; put the other way around, flimsy boards can make life harder: I’ve found that the cheapest ones can collapse under the sort of pressure one uses when pressing (as opposed to ironing).

I do use a tailor’s clapper in addition to the gear Murl discusses. I’m not sure if it provides an additional advantage or not, however.

Cheers,

Ac