• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

How to post better photos

adagio

Reaction score
This may not be the correct place for this query, and yes I've tried searching but couldn't see any relevant threads...does anyone have any good tips for taking better photographs for inclusion on the forum?

For example, I would consider posting in the WAYWRN thread if my photos looked better. I'm not taking about tips like..."buy a better camera" but rather how to best position onesself, how/whether to use artificial lighting or day light, how to position the camera to get better images of an item (like shoes), what sort of backgrounds to use/avoid, etc.

I'm inspired in particular by some of the images on the shoe and watch threads, particularly images posted by Phat Guido. Any ideas?

Adagio

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't say too much about indoor lighting, but for one thing, you should notice that Phat always takes his pictures outdoors.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
  1. as much natural light as possible - NO FLASH
  2. use a timer even when holding the camera as the motion of pushing the shutter button will cause the shakes
  3. it's not the amount of mega pixels but the lense quality & camera software - I prefer the softer colouring (European) to the bright colour (Japanese) which I get from using a Leica
  4. best to have the camera at waist height or just below, never above as this throws out the proportions
  5. no bathroom shots unless there is alot of natural light - fluro light is BAD
  6. SMILE & be your self - stand naturally

Good luck!

Osprey Guy

Reaction score
What Phat Guido said.

Here a few more "hints"...

Let me preface by saying that I am self taught. Pure trial and error. Ten years ago I decided that I needed to learn more about taking pics to better show off my knives. I still don't know crap about the technical side of photography...just enough to get by...

You don't need an expensive camera. I've been using a Canon a620 for several years. You can get something equivalent now for well under $200. I use a Tripod for all shots (you can get one for under $15 bucks at Walmart and the like) and as Phat Guido suggested, I always use the camera's built-in timer for all shots (2 seconds is sufficient... long enough to make sure the camera is perfectly steady).

I built a "light tent" several years ago. This softens the incoming light to look more natural...No hot spots. I built a frame out of PVC tubing from Home Depot...Just cut tubing to size and put together like Tinker Toys. Cover with white fabric. Using several cheap clamp lights (also from Home Depot) along with Daylight Fluorescent Bulbs (5200 k...This will give something akin to using daylight (which is always the easiest and best light to use). You could always just take your lightbox outside...or lacking that, shoot on a partly cloudy day (it's best to avoid direct sunlight).

Experiment and practice will get you the rest of the way... That plus the "auto adjust" available in any decent photo post production software (even a simple version that comes with most PC's will usually be good enough).

Of course the above is for "product shots." For self portraits go outside. Use the tripod with the self timer. No more bathroom mirrors required.

What do you think Phat Guido?

Dennis

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Osprey Guy
What Phat Guido said.

Here a few more "hints"...

Let me preface by saying that I am self taught. Pure trial and error. Ten years ago I decided that I needed to learn more about taking pics to better show off my knives. I still don't know crap about the technical side of photography...just enough to get by...

You don't need an expensive camera. I've been using a Canon a620 for several years. You can get something equivalent now for well under $200. I use a Tripod for all shots (you can get one for under $15 bucks at Walmart and the like) and as Phat Guido suggested, I always use the camera's built-in timer for all shots (2 seconds is sufficient... long enough to make sure the camera is perfectly steady).

I built a "light tent" several years ago. This softens the incoming light to look more natural...No hot spots. I built a frame out of PVC tubing from Home Depot...Just cut tubing to size and put together like Tinker Toys. Cover with white fabric. Using several cheap clamp lights (also from Home Depot) along with Daylight Fluorescent Bulbs (5200 k...This will give something akin to using daylight (which is always the easiest and best light to use). You could always just take your lightbox outside...or lacking that, shoot on a partly cloudy day (it's best to avoid direct sunlight).

Experiment and practice will get you the rest of the way... That plus the "auto adjust" available in any decent photo post production software (even a simple version that comes with most PC's will usually be good enough).

Of course the above is for "product shots." For self portraits go outside. Use the tripod with the self timer. No more bathroom mirrors required.

What do you think Phat Guido?

Dennis

PHK! I just use my camera & leave it on auto!
& shoot away..
FYI - I have never taken or read any books on photography, just trial & error..

82-Greg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Osprey Guy
What Phat Guido said....I use a Tripod for all shots (you can get one for under $15 bucks at Walmart and the like) and as Phat Guido suggested, I always use the camera's built-in timer for all shots (2 seconds is sufficient... long enough to make sure the camera is perfectly steady)...

+ 1 x 10E10

If the camera is moving, the shot is out of focus. Your hands or those of your friend will always be moving.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

• JW Anderson x Uniqlo

• Nigo x Virgil Abloh

• Converse x Midnight Studios

• Rick Owens x Champion

• Barbour x Engineered Garments

• Adidas x Bed JW Ford

• Jordan Brand x Dior

• Billie Eilish x Takashi Murakami

• Lego x Levi's