1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How to position button-on braces

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by cokeaddik, Aug 28, 2006.

1. cokeaddik

cokeaddik New Member

I recently purchased a button-on braces with leather Y neck. I am wondering if anyone could advise me how far down do I need to sew the buttons inside the pants on the waistband?. Do I need to worry about how much of the Y neck being visible? I could see in the mirror, a little bit of the 'wide end' of the Y visible at the edge of the waist, do I need to ensure that button wide end part to be concealed? Please advise. Thank you[​IMG]

2. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

Your tailor should know how to position these buttons. Usually right on the inside of the waistband (not far down at all). I wouldn't worry about what I believe the Y neck to which you refer showing.

3. j

j Senior member Admin

Basically, just make sure that when the pants are hanging by the braces, the buttons don't pull up and become visible. I put them low enough that the button slot is just covered by the top of the waistband.

Also make sure they are positioned properly so that the braces don't want to slide off your shoulders but also don't look too close together.

4. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

Side-to-side, I like the outer buttons to just about hit at the width of my hip-bones.

Top-to-bottom, I think you need to give some consideration to the construction of your waistband. There should be a natural point there. Any lower, and the buttons will simply pull the waistband out of the pants. Any higher, and the buttons will be visible. You want the buttons pretty much in the center, esp. as the waistband is often sewn down at that point and so won't get pulled inside-out by the suspenders.

5. retronotmetro

retronotmetro Senior member

The inside button needs to be in line with (or preferably just inside of) the crease to ensure that the trousers drape properly.

6. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

The inside button needs to be in line with (or preferably just inside of) the crease to ensure that the trousers drape properly.
    If the trousers are pleated, this button should be exactly above the inner pleat, which amounts to the same thing, since the pleat should lead to the crease.

7. angus.ross

angus.ross New Member

what size buttons should they be?

Angus