• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to politely discuss a FAULT in your S.O.?

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brad
I hope I'm not stepping over the line here, but just how big is she? Is she so big that you find her repulsive? If yes, a month of eating right and drinking less isn't likely to make her more attractive to you.

Not repulsive, just not that attractive...she's half-hispanic, 5'4" or so. My last GF was 5'3" and 110, so I'm probably not giving her a fair chance here. She might be 140-150? I'm not good at guessing weights.

The worst part is that she has a "gut," probably from the drinking. Her legs and arms are just a bit more than thick, but her stomach is what turns me off.

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by borderline
Are you saying this thread is worthless without photos?

Possibly.

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nevermind how?

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nevermind, like I can't tell you what to think about ^ that. Everyone is attracted to different things.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just ask her to work out with you and then go run for 1~2 hour every day on the treadmill if it's too hot outside or outside if it's not. Make sure you eat together and make sure when you do that both of you eat fruits and veggies as a primary source of carbs (like a large bowl full) rather than grains, literally a handful of lean meat at every meal, and some nuts and make sure you eat salmon once a week. Cut out bad snacking (cookies, muffins, candy, candy bars, ice cream, too much dried fruit and nuts) and eat plain yogurt or cottage cheese (I like mine with dill, some chopped nuts, and some black pepper -__-; ) with some fruit instead between lunch and dinner and dinner and before you sleep. I think it would be less awkward if you do this first and ask her to join you as a way to help you be more healthy rather than as a way to keep her healthy.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are not a douchebag. Shallow? Maybe. But aren't we all? At least you're being honest about it. You LIKE her. You enjoy being around her. You can't help it that you're not physically attractive to her.

My suggestion is to learn to cook, and cook often when together. Cook healthy meals.

Also pick up new hobbies to do together. It doesn't even have to be straightforward. If you learn to enjoy stuff like hiking, camping, biking, etc. then weight loss will just be an added benefit of your new hobby.

And if anything else, just be open about it. But direct, but soft. Be very careful of your wording, I would advise going to your female friends to ask about the wording on this. It's an incredibly delicate subject but it's not just a vanity issue but can also be a health issue. Plus you already find her beautiful on the inside and in the end that's what counts most.

jkennett

Reaction score
You're only 21... and this girl is great, but you're not physically attracted to her. That would make her great "friend" material. That's the eventuality in my opinion. Work on improving your self-confidence and go for women who you find physically attractive and who you don't feel need to change a damned thing to be with you... In fact go for a girl who completely outclasses you intellectually and physically. That has always been my standard, and I've done damned well with it.

These diet/exercise plans are great.... for a married couple who've been together for years and she's changed a bit for the worse over time. But, this is not the case with you. I'd follow my previous advice before you get caught up trying to change this girl into something that she isn't just to make you happy. It's not fair to her or your self. My .02 cents.

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jkennett
You're only 21... and this girl is great, but you're not physically attracted to her. That would make her great "friend" material. That's the eventuality in my opinion. Work on improving your self-confidence and go for women who you find physically attractive and who you don't feel need to change a damned thing to be with you... In fact go for a girl who completely outclasses you intellectually and physically. That has always been my standard, and I've done damned well with it.

These diet/exercise plans are great.... for a married couple who've been together for years and she's changed a bit for the worse over time. But, this is not the case with you. I'd follow my previous advice before you get caught up trying to change this girl into something that she isn't just to make you happy. It's not fair to her or your self. My .02 cents.

Very well said.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Judging from the pic you shared, she has probably NEVER been thin in her adult life, so it will realistically be a very long road until she ever becomes your ideal body.

If you really love her, maybe you should look at it as your responsibility to LEAD her to losing weight, not TELLING her to lose weight. Breaking up or telling her directly that she is overweight will probably scar her for life.

Look at it as a 1-2 year mission and lead her to lose weight, and in return you get your ideal everything.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
3 options

1. learn to live with her thick body

2. leave her/ shift to being friends

3. have a life where you are both misrable.

basically, if you expect her to lose weight, and your love is dependant on that, she will be misrable, and you will not be happy. this simply isn't a valid option.

greenleaflettuce

Reaction score
I don't think one can have a polite discussion about one's girlfriend's weight. Talking about her weight will be counterproductive. You need to be a circumspect and marginally passive-agressive. Stop ********** with her. Stop eating with her. Start working out together. But don't say anything about her weight. Please.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads