• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

how to pack a suit

hermes man

Reaction score
just invest in a very good suit and wear it all the time, then u wont have to worry about packing it

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've traveled with a cotton suit in my carry-on over the weekend. After hanging it in the bathroom while taking a shower it was ready to go.

What I did was the following:

1. I turned the jacket inside-out and laid it out flat on a bed.
2. Put some socks and underwear that I was taking with me anyway inside the shoulders to protect them. I used the same underwear on the way back, but wrapped in a plastic bag this time for obvious reasons.
3. Carefully fold the sleeves over the jacket and lift the collar
4. Fold the suit in half along the buttoning line
5. Fold it twice.
6. Pack it into your carry-on luggage into a tight pocket.
7. There will be a "fat" spot where the shoulders are, so pack a scarf or something soft on the other side to balance that out.
8. Fold the trousers three times and pack them into another section. When you pack both the suit and the trousers, make sure they go in neatly but tightly. They must not move around or they will fold in unintended places.

I'm not sure this is universally good advice, but it worked for me.

Beaune Head

Reaction score
If you are willing to check luggage, a folding garment bag works wonderfully. Since the contents of the bag are on hangers, you just hang them up when you get to the hotel.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.