• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to not look fat

Despot

Reaction score
I am 5'11'' 200lbs. I could lose a few pounds according to my ideal BMI. To be honest I don't look bad with my shirt off. I have some love handles and a little belly fat but I think most of the time it is my clothes that make me look fat.
If there is any truth to the BMI system I don't really know since it doesn't account for body type or proportions and stuff like that.
I would say I have an above average shoulder width. In other words I am pretty broad shouldered for my waist size. When I buy a shirt or sweater is ends up fitting great in the shoulder chest area but being all baggy around my waist and I hate it! It makes me look way fatter than I am. Is there any tips to prevent this besides expensive tailoring?
It may partly be just me being self concious so maybe I should just lose the 15lbs and not worry about the clothes?

celery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If your shirts are baggy in the belly, go to a tailor and have them taken in.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're fat, so make sure you own the look.

RedScarf7

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despot
I am 5'11'' 200lbs. I could lose a few pounds according to my ideal BMI. To be honest I don't look bad with my shirt off. I have some love handles and a little belly fat but I think most of the time it is my clothes that make me look fat.
If there is any truth to the BMI system I don't really know since it doesn't account for body type or proportions and stuff like that.
I would say I have an above average shoulder width. In other words I am pretty broad shouldered for my waist size. When I buy a shirt or sweater is ends up fitting great in the shoulder chest area but being all baggy around my waist and I hate it! It makes me look way fatter than I am. Is there any tips to prevent this besides expensive tailoring?
It may partly be just me being self concious so maybe I should just lose the 15lbs and not worry about the clothes?

It seems you have already found the answer.

Despot

Reaction score
so I should gain weight and just be a *****? A little more insight would be helpful instead of just telling me I am fat.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
BMI is at least the most reliable and precise method of testing for body composition, and statistically it correlates extremely well with fat levels. Most people who complain that their BMI makes them obese are at east fat, and a quick glance will confirm it. Those who don't fit the mold (bodybuilders, the extremely athletic at low %BF) are obviously not obese at a quick glance as well.

danyllau

Reaction score
Don't try to wear something that is not meant for you.

Despot

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RedScarf7
It seems you have already found the answer.
That isn't the point of this thread if I already know I need to lose weight how does this answer the question?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despot
That isn't the point of this thread if I already know I need to lose weight how does this answer the question?

IF your thread isn't about actually taking care of your body, then you posted it in the wrong forum.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Is tailoring really that expensive, btw? It costs me $7 to have a shirt taken in at the waist and sleeves here.

Despot

Reaction score
I believe the name of the forum is body conciousness. I am conscious of my body as being fatter than it is because of my clothes therfore I thought it was in the appropriate forum.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nah, this board is more about lifting/losing weight/hygeine products/colognes/etc.

Men's Clothing or Streetwear & Denim would be the correct places to discuss clothes.

Despot

Reaction score
could someone move/delete this thread then?

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
You're fat, so make sure you own the look.

This is also actually true.

I know a couple of chubby dudes who get laid consistently just by being stylish and charming. Nice clothes help.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads