• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

how to minimize color loss in jeans

voltronf0rce

Reaction score
This is for a new pair of unwashed raw denim jeans.

I have searched and have been reading that vinegar helps seal in the color. But many say this applies only to wool and the indigo dye isn't affected by vinegar because of its alkaline? properties. Others say, vinegar only removes the stiffness in new raw jeans. And yet others say, vinegar makes a great laundry booster, as it brightens up colors (which I find a bit contradicting, when you want to keep your jeans darker).

I guess, alot of people would say, just dont wash them. But I actually don't like whiskering/crease effect and I want them soft. So I want to use water.

This is what I have been reading says to do:
1. washed them inside out
2. use the least amount of soap
3. wash cold and hang dry.

Does anyone know or recommend anything thing else, like additive or methods that would minimize color loss.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The whole vinegar thing is also recommended for hakama and gi which are indigo-dyed cotton. However while it is highly recommended in Japan and overseas by owners, manufacturers and resellers, most evidence is anecdotal.

lcordaro

Reaction score
I have a pair of RB6A. Can I expect any fading. I would like them too. I don't think they will.

StevenRocks

Reaction score
I've heard dry cleaning your jeans will maintain color, but I've never tried it.

Ahaz

Reaction score
Atama has this to say:

4. For blue/black products

1. Before first wash, soak the gi in the sink or tub with 2-3 cups of white vinegar and the rest water. Let soak for 20-30 minutes and then wash. This will help set the color in your gi and minimize fading.
2. Second and future washes. Use a color safe detergent like Cheer or Ivory flake.
My BJJ coach likes this method, and his blue gi(s) are decently blue, especially considering they get washed after every use, and he teaches class six days a week. There are several guys with blue gis that are faded like crazy. Maybe due to setting with vinegar, maybe not.

Worth a try, I suppose.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ahaz
Atama has this to say:

My BJJ coach likes this method, and his blue gi(s) are decently blue, especially considering they get washed after every use, and he teaches class six days a week. There are several guys with blue gis that are faded like crazy. Maybe due to setting with vinegar, maybe not.

Worth a try, I suppose.

I have done that for my cotton hakama as well as three indigo gi. Have not bled that much after several years but I don't usually machine wash them. Cold water soak only for the gi after every practice (Tucson is hot as hell), a splash of Dettol or delicate wash detergent occassionally. Have not tried it with my jeans; my PDCs I just wash in the machine on cold and hang dry. My first pair of dry jeans has not been weashed yet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads