• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to look good in newsboy cap

Dan Dynamic

Reaction score
I just watched The Greatest Game Ever Played and noticed everyone looked good in a newsboy cap. I thought this had to do with layering, the fuller cut and the choice of material, in other words a more vintage look (?). Compared with David Beckham, it just looks weird. At least, that is my opinion.

1653589745676.png

1653590189540.png

Is it possible to look good in a newsboy cap without looking too customey, and if so, how? I am not sure if it would be appropriate to wear Shia's outfit today, considering the risk of looking like a neckbeard.

Last edited:

rjc149

Reaction score
If you're worried about looking costumey or like a hipster (or a "neckbeard"), wearing a newsboy cap isn't going to do you any favors.

If you're not worried about looking costumey or like a hipster, and you like newsboy caps, then wear one.

Choosing to wear a particular garment or style of garment will always pit these two approaches against each other -- "What is the image of myself I am presenting to others by wearing this" vs. "if that image is undesirable to me, do I like this garment enough disregard that undesirable element."

Dan Dynamic

Reaction score
If you're worried about looking costumey or like a hipster (or a "neckbeard"), wearing a newsboy cap isn't going to do you any favors.

If you're not worried about looking costumey or like a hipster, and you like newsboy caps, then wear one.

Choosing to wear a particular garment or style of garment will always pit these two approaches against each other -- "What is the image of myself I am presenting to others by wearing this" vs. "if that image is undesirable to me, do I like this garment enough disregard that undesirable element."
I see your point and it is completely valid. I don't wanna base my outfit on one accessory, I want it to be a complement to my outfit.

However, I have grown tired of wearing baseball caps during bad hair days which is why I wanted to try something else. I am not sure simply exchanging my baseball cap for a newsboy cap would look good with my current wardrobe (workwear/ivy league). I really have no worries looking customey, but at the same time I wonder if Shia's look could be done in a more contemporary way by playing with material, cuts, fabrics, and layering (or lack thereof) - in other words, what are the fundamentals needed to look good in a newsboy cap? When would a newsboy cap be a flattering complement to my outfit? I figured it could be good to know the rules before experimenting.

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see your point and it is completely valid. I don't wanna base my outfit on one accessory, I want it to be a complement to my outfit.

However, I have grown tired of wearing baseball caps during bad hair days which is why I wanted to try something else. I am not sure simply exchanging my baseball cap for a newsboy cap would look good with my current wardrobe (workwear/ivy league). I really have no worries looking customey, but at the same time I wonder if Shia's look could be done in a more contemporary way by playing with material, cuts, fabrics, and layering (or lack thereof) - in other words, what are the fundamentals needed to look good in a newsboy cap? When would a newsboy cap be a flattering complement to my outfit? I figured it could be good to know the rules before experimenting.

Perhaps you could try a flat cap instead of the newsboy cap?

Some of those could work with your style. I have a couple of things from Lock and Co and enjoy them both.

Dan Dynamic

Reaction score
Perhaps you could try a flat cap instead of the newsboy cap?

Some of those could work with your style. I have a couple of things from Lock and Co and enjoy them both.
Thanks for the suggestion. I have thought about flat caps but I never really liked the shape of them. Perhaps I should reconsider.

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to cover my head from the sun as per dermatologist instruction, so I wear flat caps very often, as I feel more comfortable with them than with baseball caps or with proper hats. I believe that the newsboy cap and its fuller cut make a different statement.

d38b5291-94bc-46df-8838-85c91c1d41de-jpeg.1602190

Last edited:

Dan Dynamic

Reaction score
I have to cover my head from the sun as per dermatologist instruction, so I wear flat caps very often, as I feel more comfortable with them than with baseball caps or with proper hats. I feel that the newsboy cap and its fuller cut make a different statement.

d38b5291-94bc-46df-8838-85c91c1d41de-jpeg.1602190
Nice. I also agree with you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads