• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How To Layer Hoodie?

adamm411

Reaction score
I found some nice slim fit hoodies with interesting graphics, interesting distress work that I bought for an insanely low price. I'm thinking about layering this over a plain long sleeve tee or graphics tee. The question is, what to wear OVER the hoodie? Two layers is not going to be enough considering it's close to thirty degrees now. Also, the hoodie is thin, slim fit.

I know lots of people layer by wearing a denim jacket over the hoodie. I'm fine with that, if I can find a cool denim jacket I really like. Any other layering suggestions?

broady

Reaction score
some people do it with jackets, but it looks a bit stupid.

if its that cold, perhaps wool or cashmere is more appropriate

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sweat shirt as well?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
You'll get better responses here in streetwear.

digital_denim

Big Lose
Reaction score
Originally Posted by broady
some people do it with jackets, but it looks a bit stupid.

if its that cold, perhaps wool or cashmere is more appropriate

haha. thought this was a strange answer, until i realized it was answered from Men's Clothing section!

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I run in the winter I'll often wear a hoodie underneath an old track jacket, I think it looks pretty good as far as cold weather running gear is concerned (i.e. I wouldn'tbe embarrassed to be seen not running in it). edit: Where do you find slim fit hoodies? I love hoodies for casual wear, but my (tall, thin) physique doesn't lend itself well to most hooded sweatshirts.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Grey/white hoodie under a black jacket looks solid with the right jacket. Saucemaster had a good hoodie under jacket look a couple days ago in What Are You Wearing Now if you want to check back a couple pages. If you scan the pages of that thread you'll see some people doing it and get ideas.

adamm411

Reaction score
I found some at TJ Maxx. They were on sale for $19 apiece. They looked very similar to some slim fit hoodies I saw for nearly $200! at Nordstrom and some other places a few months back. You know the look: slim fit, washed, distressed, graphics.

I believe they are from archaic? I'll have to double check.

Before, when my friend could help me out with this, I knew how to match this particular item with these shoes with these pants... Now, I just see an item I like, buy it, then am completely lost about how to put together an outfit around it.

Here are some other items I like. I like velvet at the moment:

http://www.truereligionbrandjeans.co.../92780301.html

Don't even know where to begin as to how build an outfit with those jeans...

I wish I could give suggestions, but more in the question asking stage at this point.

Adamm

Originally Posted by ruben
When I run in the winter I'll often wear a hoodie underneath an old track jacket, I think it looks pretty good as far as cold weather running gear is concerned (i.e. I wouldn'tbe embarrassed to be seen not running in it).

edit: Where do you find slim fit hoodies? I love hoodies for casual wear, but my (tall, thin) physique doesn't lend itself well to most hooded sweatshirts.

theshonen8899

Reaction score
I think the denim jacket would be a good idea, but then again some denim jackets look kind've strange so it really depends on the jacket.

Fat-Elvis

Reaction score
I have a nice denim jacket I really like, and 90% of the time when I wear it I have a hoodie underneith. I think I pull off the look well, although some people say it makes me "look highschool", haha.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dont buy those TRs A much much pair of denim can be had for that price

btw TR sucks

adamm411

Reaction score
I think what happened is that I picked up some items that are offseason: these thin hoodies with graphics are designed to be worn as the outer layer on a spring or summer night. That's why they're thin--they don't have to be that warm. And that's why they have graphics; they are meant to be the outer layer.

Nonetheless, I still plan on rocking them in the next couple seasons, fall and winter style. I think denim jackets and some blazers are appropriate as the top layer over a hoodie. I'll try both out.

I've seen several people wear the denim jacket over hoodie look and I think it works, although it's not terribly original. I've also had a few salespeople advocate wearing a nice tan/khaki blazer over a hoodie too, with any kind of t shirt as a base layer. This salesperson claimed the hoodie/blazer look was a hot look, being worn by celebs such as justin timberlake, but this was a good six seven months ago at least.

I'll get this right eventually. Or, I can just keep the hoodies in my closet and wear 'em as an outer layer when it warms up again.

Adamm

Smooth Genes

Reaction score
blazer over a hoodie is played out and lamed out.

If i wear a hoodie its underneath my H&M parka or sometimes ill do it under my black leather jacket.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads