• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to know when to wash assuming they aren't dirty?

thereverend

Reaction score
I know, too much thought for my 501 STF, but I want to learn this anyway for when I buy some nicer ones. How do I know I have worn my jeans long enough for the wash that produces nice contrasting assuming that they aren't particularly dirty? I have been wearing mine every day for about 2 months now. They have light whiskering and honeycombs and good fading near the waist above the front pockets. What will they look like when they are ready?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thereverend
I know, too much thought for my 501 STF, but I want to learn this anyway for when I buy some nicer ones. How do I know I have worn my jeans long enough for the wash that produces nice contrasting assuming that they aren't particularly dirty? I have been wearing mine every day for about 2 months now. They have light whiskering and honeycombs and good fading near the waist above the front pockets. What will they look like when they are ready?

the longer you wait, the better.

thereverend

Reaction score
Ok, so assuming washing with Dr. Bronner's (which we sell at my work), how much should I mix in with the wash? It seems like there are a lot of opinions but not a lot of instructions to be found on the superfuture site.

Ott

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thereverend
Ok, so assuming washing with Dr. Bronner's (which we sell at my work), how much should I mix in with the wash? It seems like there are a lot of opinions but not a lot of instructions to be found on the superfuture site.
you're making this way too complicated. They're just jeans, you wear them until they get dirty, then throw them in the wash with soap or detergent.
confused.gif
there isn't a magic recipe.

theshonen8899

Reaction score
Seriously...just add however much you did with a normal detergent...
I'd kind've understand if you were working with $400 jeans but its still nothing to worry about. If you can't find the information then use your common sense.

thereverend

Reaction score
Ok, thanks for the help. There is this dichotomy, on one side it is the "common sense" camp and the other is the meticulous two part denim detergent in an old river and washboard after a days work of collecting gold flakes
boxing[1].gif

ang_kangkong

Reaction score
Well, when you think about it, why would you wash jeans if they aren't dirty?

I know what you mean though. Ryu (if you ever read the other SF, you'll know who he is) suggests a pinch of detergent. Also, you don't have to use Dr. Bronner's. Yet. You can use that colorguard detergent, I saw a guy's LVCs washed with it, and he's happy with the results. You can graduate to Dr Bronner's or that 2-part stuff (and if you know about that, then you already know the philosophy of people who use it regarding washing).

Airfrogusmc, I think, doesn't even wash his, just soaks it for awhile.

And in case you missed it - inside out, air dry.

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hmmm.... since i am the denim god, maybe i should chime in.

i wash mine inside out by hand with cold water and dr bronners.

somtimes i throw them in the washer with regular detergent.

somtimes, i soak them in the sink.

i have not noticed any real difference in the results.

really, it doesnt matter. whatever you do will just be part of how you wear and live in your jeans, which is what all this crazy discussion is supposed to result in.

do whats easiest for you, just do it with the jeans inside out and avoid the dryer.

thereverend

Reaction score
How much Dr. Bronners do you use? I can get the stuff at wholesale
smile.gif

theshonen8899

Reaction score
You know the cup lids that you get with liquid detergents such as Woolite?
Just use that as a guide..

Max

Reaction score
I just use woolite in the the bathtub with cold water. Drip dry and they're good to go in about 18 hours.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics