• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to keep the tie know/dimple from being lopsided?

thompssc13

Reaction score
I've read countless how-to's of making a dimple in the tie, but my knots always seem slightly lopside, and the dimple then isn't quite center, but over to the side. It's an issue with the skinny end of the tie not being centered under the knot, but I don't understand how else you can tie it so that the tie is centered. Any tips?

Scott

EDIT: knot*, not know. Sorry.

Last edited:

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do my dimples on the side on purpose. The perfectly centred dimple doesn't suit the casual nonchalant nature of a four-in-hand. I'd save the perfectly tight centre dimple for a windsor knot, but then again I'd never wear a windsor knot.

I am DIL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The four-in-hand is intended to be asymmetrical, so a dimple in the centre looks weird.

Last edited:

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
the trick is not to give a damn

mcbrown

Reaction score

I do my dimples on the side on purpose. The perfectly centred dimple doesn't suit the casual nonchalant nature of a four-in-hand. I'd save the perfectly tight centre dimple for a windsor knot, but then again I'd never wear a windsor knot.
Seriously though, OP there are several threads about this, and also a plethora of web resources on tying the perfect dimpled knot. Google is your friend.

thompssc13

Reaction score

Seriously though, OP there are several threads about this, and also a plethora of web resources on tying the perfect dimpled knot. Google is your friend.

I appreciate the humor. Yes, I am particular. Sorry. I have Google'd it, but basically what the entire internet says can be summed up as:
"Before you tighten the knot, slide your index finger into the knot and pinch the sides together, and then draw the rest of the tie down to tighten the knot."

I do this, and get a dimple, but it's not centered, which bugs me. So what I'm asking is not how to make a dimple, but for any tips or tricks to make it centered.

Thanks,

Scott

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
The four-in-hand is intended to be asymmetrical, so a dimple in the centre looks weird.

This is what I was brought up with... the dimple was always supposed to be off-centre. I am not sure quite where this idea of the central dimple came from.

Last edited:

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ties are not boobs. They are intended to be a little lopsided.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having recently unlocked the mysteries of the neck tie dimple, I too agonized over dimple placement, like a true neurotic. It is good to read that I will not be hanged for placing the dimple off center :)

thompssc13

Reaction score
OK, I appreciate the responses. I guess my notion that dimples should be centered was misconceived, thanks for clearing that up.

Scott

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This will help. When putting the tie thru the soon to be knot and before you pull the wider part tight to create the knot you want to make the tie perfectly flat/smooth horizontally above the knot. Do this by sliding your index finger or a pencil thru the fabric of the tie above the knot. Your finger will be parallel to the ground and smooth the fabric so it is perfectly flat before pulling the tie thru and tightening. Generally that's all you need to do but some ties need a little help to create the dimple and sometimes it's more important to get this right the first few times you make the knot and then it gets saved to memory in the cloth. Inexpensive ties with poor interlining will be more difficult.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads