How to keep suits in closet

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by fatherseanfan, Apr 29, 2006.

1. fatherseanfan

fatherseanfan Senior member

Should suits be kept in the closet in garmet bags or with nothing on them?

2. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

I keep them in garment bags, closed in with some sort of herbal moth repellant.

3. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Senior member

as long as your closet is neat and relatively recent (so that you don't expect moths, etc.-- but it's good to have a little cedar wood in there, just in case), keep your clothing on good hangers, spaced a couple of inches or so apart so they can breathe. wool is a natural fiber, so unless you're storing them in a breathable cotton/ canvas garment bag, i wouldn't recommend it. I always keep mine out of bags, with the exception of the tux, in a sort of a linen garment bag, as i of course plan to wear it less frequently.

4. fatherseanfan

fatherseanfan Senior member

Its not recent (1910s), it gets sort of damp sometimes, but I've never had any problems with mould or moths. Right now I keep them in plastic garmet bags. Is this wrong?

5. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

I heard that no natural fiber garments should be kept in synthetic fiber bags - that means don't store suits in garment bags, and don't store your shirts in plastic bags from the dry cleaner. I forget what the reason was for this and do not know whether it's true.

6. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I heard that plastic is not good - I keep mine in cotton zippered cases from the container store.