• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to keep my pants up?

Jim88

Reaction score
Any idea's how to keep my pants up? A belt doesn't seem to help (neither does tightening it -- and suspenders aren't an option), it keeps dropping off my belly everytime and moves to my hips.

Makoto Chan

Reaction score
Am I being trolled?

Try buying pants that fit. Go to the store, try them on, and ask the sales assistant for help (since you need it).

Jim88

Reaction score
I'm serious. I bought pants/jeans that fit properly (they enclose around my waist), but since my belt isn't tight enough, the pants drop to my hips (I guess to the narrowest point where it can't drop any further). I tightend my belt a notch further a few times but it seem to hurt a lot, so I guess a belt isn't an option..
It just doesn't look good on the back of my pants when wearing jeans. The backpockets seem to hang a bit too low. This might be because I'm not really that tall 5 feet 7 inches and have a bit of a stomach. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

scatterbrain

Reaction score
I found this used to happen a lot before I lost weight.

You can't put pants on an egg. Even with a belt.
Hit the gym. You can do it!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

My first month was completely miserable. I felt like **** every day. But now I love going to the gym. I'm on vacation, and I'm still going.

I've lost 35 pounds. Still have 15-20 more to lose, but I'm working at it.

Jim88

Reaction score
I found this used to happen a lot before I lost weight.

You can't put pants on an egg. Even with a belt.
Hit the gym. You can do it!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

My first month was completely miserable. I felt like **** every day. But now I love going to the gym. I'm on vacation, and I'm still going.

I've lost 35 pounds. Still have 15-20 more to lose, but I'm working at it.

Thank you for your reply. I have indeed lost a lot of weight too. Still need to lose some but I think those last bits will be the hardest. So if I understand correctly it's the 'egg shape' which makes it impossible to keep my pants up. Do you know if there are options out there which can get it fixed? For example, could a tailor do something about the pants to make it fit?

scatterbrain

Reaction score

Thank you for your reply. I have indeed lost a lot of weight too. Still need to lose some but I think those last bits will be the hardest. So if I understand correctly it's the 'egg shape' which makes it impossible to keep my pants up. Do you know if there are options out there which can get it fixed? For example, could a tailor do something about the pants to make it fit?

My egg hypothesis is unproven. I just noticed that there's less slippage after losing some weight myself.

I read somewhere that braces can work well when beers aren't up for the task. I only have one pair so far. They allow the pants to hang better, and give a more uninterrupted line to the floor.

I felt a little ridiculous at first, but my wife said she likes them.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Low rise will start off at your hips rather than falling to them.

If you want to really keep your trousers at your waist, suspenders are the best way to go.

You might want to try fabric belts with d-ring closures that might help keep the belt tightness. But you'll still have the egg problem.

scatterbrain

Reaction score
I've pretty much only worn low-rise. I find high-rise uncomfortable.

Theoretically, I guess it's better that the garment is meant to sit at the hips than to have it slide down to them.

Tomboys

Reaction score
Duct tape? (J/K).

Every body is different and we all have differing physiques. The reason why the waistband of your pants stop at your hips is because they're wider than the waistband. You have a couple of different options. First, you can opt for pants that have a lower rise. They will still slide down some, but at least you won't end up with an MC Hammer-esque crotch line. The other option involves the help of a (good) tailor. Have the seat and crotch altered so that they're more fitted around the hip/buttocks area. It's not necessarily the waist area of the pants that keep them up, it's the hip/buttocks area. Some of my jean are loose around the waistline, but they're fitted closer around the hips/buttocks area. So, for the most part, they stay in place.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Am I being trolled?

Try buying pants that fit. Go to the store, try them on, and ask the sales assistant for help (since you need it).

Doesn't work for big people. Belts equals discomfort, side adjusters too. Pant waist will get muffen top'ed and halfway flipped over. Whatever that 'fits' at the waist will always fall down.

Suspenders are the only saving grace. Or, wear Kim Jong Il types of pants that sits at the bottom of ribcage.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads