• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to Keep Cotton or Linen Suits Neat?

DandySF

Reaction score
After just a few hours of wear, it seems either cotton or linen garments begin to wrinkle. For those who wear suits made of these fibers, how on earth do you maintain any degree of neatness? Do you send them to the cleaner after each wearing?

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's what they are meant to do. It is part of their inherent "charm", as they are meant to be a sloppy form of beachwear. Some people don't really get it (even Bernhard Roetzel admits to belonging to this camp), in which case cotton and linen should be avoided.

A steamer will help to get the wrinkles out after each wear.

Moss

Reaction score
You literally would have to have them pressed after every wearing to maintain such a crisp look.

From what a few old school types have passed on to me, this used to be the practice in tropical climates like Cuba with laundries at the ready to help you on a daily basis. I think the quality of the linen was a different product than is seen today.

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
One prince on the Amalfi coast was known for buying twelve linen suits at the start of each season and wearing one in the morning and another in the afternoon.

Another approach might be to steam your jacket and trousers in the middle of the day. The jacket at least is fairly easy to do.

DandySF

Reaction score
This element of high maintenance is probably why linen has an aura of luxury about it.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You don't. You just live with the wrinkles and enjoy them.

DandySF

Reaction score
Wrinkles acquired after a fresh pressing is one thing; the accumulated wrinkles after multiple wearings would simply look disheveled in my book. I think Will's tip of steaming is a reasonable solution.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Like they said above, Linen and cotton wrinkle. Ever notice that your cotton shirts wrinkle after few hours of wear? Cotton suits do. Linen does ALOT more.

Basically wear the items a couple of times a week and have your dry cleaner take the wrinkles out (or use a steamer yourself if possible). BUt ultimately don't worry too much about the wrinkles that's the point.

If they bother you ALOT, wear summer weight wool.

foto010101

Reaction score
What kind of steamer are you referring to? Does it already suffice to put the garments in humid air? Or should one buy a special steaming device?

DandySF

Reaction score
As far as Will's suggestion is concerned, I'll steam the clothing when I'm finished wearing it. I find linen so impractical that I'll wear it for a specific occasion during the day, rather than for the entire day. By the end of the day linen is wrecked. Alas, I'm not leading a Masterpiece Theater lifestyle with valets and such; any steaming will be done by my own hand.

Incidentally, when we talk about steaming, this does not refer to the incidental steam that can be created in the bathtub. That quantity of steam is simply not equal to the task of removing wrinkles. A hand held steamer is the only way to really ease out wrinkles.

DandySF

Reaction score
I try to be meticulous about giving credit where it is due. I see that I should have acknowledged your suggestion, especially since it was first. My apologies for this oversight.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads