How to keep a silk pocket square in place?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by CousinDonuts, Oct 9, 2011.

1. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Senior member

When you wear a silk pocket square in some sort of poofed way, how do you keep it in place throughout the day? I find that I'll get it set in the morning but then it slides into the pocket, or parts unfolds, or whatnot. Typically I lose it when I take the jacket off in the car, or wear it for a long stretch of time.

Any good ideas out there to keep it in place, or am I doomed to constantly adjust?

(I apologize up front if this is an old topic, but I've kicked around the search function a few times and haven't found too much on this topic.)

thanks!

2. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

The trick I find is to maximize the use of space, i.e. do not fold width wise too small or height wise too small (where there is room for it to slide down). I use oversized pocket squares generally and that takes care of it for me. A few small adjustments occasionally needed during the day, but not to the point you have to take it out and reset.

A friend of mine uses glue to stick in place, although I would not recommend such extreme measures.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011

3. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Using a linen pocket square helps. It tends to be stiff and not move around as much.

Also, try to stuff it deep into your pocket and then puff out just enough to show above your pocket. That way most of it is well into your pocket and tends to stay there.

4. Will

Will Senior member Dubiously Honored

Start with a square that is 16 1/2" on a side so there is some bulk to hold it in the pocket. Then fold it a minimum of twice (three times is better), so the bulk is immediately below the pocket opening. You don't need silk at the bottom of the pocket as it doesn't support the rest of the square anyway.

5. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

I have that issue height wise. If I'm really bothered by it, I fold up a kitchen paper towel, insert into the pocket first, and follow with the square. not the most elegant solution, but it works.

6. stjeremiad

stjeremiad New Member

At a wedding recently, I took the magnets found on the back of a boutineer (a flower shop should have a set they can sell you) to keep a disappearing square in place. One set measures 5/16" round by 1/8"in thick and the other is 7/16 by 1/8"in thick. I put one magnet in front of the square in the pocket, and the other on the inside of the jacket. Both were strong enough to do the job; they also helped cut down on some of the bulk that a folded square can add to the pocket also.

7. Francisco

Francisco Senior member

No good for your heart....

8. Musella

Musella Senior member

Oh my...glue?!? :D [​IMG]

9. FillW

FillW Senior member

A couple of guys suggested safety pins in the Pocket Square thread. I found they work pretty good.

10. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

This is actually quite brilliant.

11. GC1966

GC1966 New Member

I have been using double sided tape to keep the square in the same position. It has worked pretty well

12. size 38R

size 38R Senior member

i buy larger squares, or make my own.(recommended) no need for nails, glue,staples, tape,pins, paper towel, etc...........[​IMG]