• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to judge flatware quality?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Was at Williams Sonoma for second time this week and I bought a set of Robert Welch Fluke. The quality is immediately apparent. They're completely solid, made from a single piece of steel, feel great in your hand, and they look like sculpture.

Every other brand W-S stocked had two-piece knives with hollow handles that had no heft, and some of them were even more expensive than the RW stuff. I was thoroughly confused as to why that would be the case. I can't remember who mentioned oneida, but honestly, there's no comparing Oneida to RW, or anything else W-S sold. I looked at probably 30 sets of Oneida at a different store and they're not even in the same league.

Anyway, I deliberated for a while, worried how the satin finish would look next to the platinum rim of my china, but I bought on impulse and will see how it looks. At worst I'll return it.

BrianVarick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have these and I really like them. The large fork is pretty long and slender, so my lady prefers the smaller one.
41065HRK6TL._SS400_.jpg

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quirk
How many of you here actually have bought or use silver? I thought you were just supposed to inherit it, never use it, polish it every so often, and pass it on to the next generation.
smile.gif

We both have and use it ... regularly.

In fact, if you use it regularly, it never needs to be polished.

turboman808

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Every other brand W-S stocked had two-piece knives with hollow handles that had no heft, and some of them were even more expensive than the RW stuff. I was thoroughly confused as to why that would be the case. I can't remember who mentioned oneida, but honestly, there's no comparing Oneida to RW, or anything else W-S sold. I looked at probably 30 sets of Oneida at a different store and they're not even in the same league.

The reason for the 2 piece is back in the day you bought sterling silver flatware. It didn't hold up to well on the knives so it was an insert like you mentioned. It wasn't done to be cheap. In fact I have to imagine making a solid one piece knife is cheaper then the 2 piece.

But if you made the dinner knife out of a solid piece of silver it would get bent very fast.

vvcheck

Reaction score
Buying quality flatware can sometimes be a hassle. The available information that's out there isn't always helpful. There is so much information to sift through. This means that higher levels of both metals would be more ideal in terms of the quality of the flatware. These would usually be those that are graded 18/8 and 18/10.

gwolf

Reaction score
i have bamboo flatware. not as nice as tiffany but nicer than the one's at target, which would be fine with me too if my country actually had a target.
200.jpg
11-24-08%20target%20bamboo%20flatware.jpg

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CouttsClient
Really love the 1960s Georg Jensen:
I know it's pronounced differently in Denmark ... but I can't watch the Sound of Music without thinking of GJ.

Yes, it's traditional ... but I love the acorn pattern.

djlakz

Reaction score
There are number of factors to judge the quality depending on the type of flatware you want to buy. If you are referring to stainless steel flatware quality, then you should consider nickel & chromium percentage it contains. Normally 18/10 type are the best quality & 18/0 are the lowest quality. Here is a complete guide of choosing flatware - https://www.seasonalnyc.com/modern-flatware/

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads