• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to improve physique so clothes fit better? (wide hips)

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents,

What can I do to improve my physique, my waist is smaller compared to my hips and this throws off a lot of my outfits (suiting especially).

Do I need to...

1) Continue to lean out, hopes that hips/butt will reduce (or is it unlikely they'll change much as my body is shaped that way?)

2) Increase the size/thickness of my lowerback/obliques/abs to make the discrepancy look less apparent?

Thanks - much appreciated.

With pants on:

As you can see, most pants get tight in the hips/butt before they do in my waist.

Last edited:

karanimal

Reaction score
widen your lats and your shoulders, it'll make your waist appear smaller. Drop some bodyfat, id say drop down to about 8-9% and stay there. Also, dont train your obliques directly.

Source: i have wide hips of peace and compete as bodybuilder & physique athlete

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thx. What BF am I right now? 14-15% ? Pics are unflexed.

Repped.

Wait wut,,,

karanimal

Reaction score
Aware you cheeky kunt

Yeah 14-15% + 5-10lbs of water, mirin traps, you'll be aesthetic around 10%

Would **** if given the chance....

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your physique looks pretty proportionate to me. In fact, I think many men would envy it. Since hip width is largely determined by skeletal structure, probably you are a candidate for MTM or bespoke suits.

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Your physique looks pretty proportionate to me. In fact, I think many men would envy it. Since hip width is largely determined by skeletal structure, probably you are a candidate for MTM or bespoke suits.

Not sure it's something worth envying...makes finding pants a real pain. Everything gets tight in the thighs/butt/hips before the waist.

Makes the overall aesthetic look off, almost hourglass-ish

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Correcting problems like yours is precisely what good tailors do!

SplasH

Reaction score
I second the working on shoulders idea. Working lats and delts will give you a V shape that takes attention from the hips. Don't forget to also work out the lower body to avoid the "chicken legs" syndrom.

Last edited:

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OP, you have a common 'athletic build' problem shared by guys with strong legs. It's unlikely you can increase or decrease the size of the body parts you mention, those dimensions are set by your bones and you already work out it seems. Unless you ONLY swim without kicking your legs or something, there's no way you build up your top and get decent cardio without building up your quads/ gluet.

The key is to wear the right clothes. It will take a lot of experimentation but my hunch is you'd do best to wear very dark denim pants, slim but not tight, to make your hips and quads visually recede. You don't necessarily want to pair that with a light shirt, since the eye will be drawn to the highest contrast which will be your waist (where the shirt meets the dark pants). I'd go for a medium dark shirt (i.e. denim shirt or military shirt) that has breast pockets, rolled up sleeves, a collar, and then some light fading in the shoulder area. That 'action' in the shoulder area will draw the eye to your best asset, and make the wide lower torso and hips/legs recede, giving you the V. If we're talking about unbuttoned blazers/sport coats, their flowiness in the hip area is your friend, and will draw the eye up to the structured shoulders.

Wirr

Reaction score
I don't think there is anything off with your hip/waist ratio.
It's only clothing manufacturers that make clothes for people without butt and legs.
Buy the pants you like and sew them smaller in the waist? Problem solved.

You can't do much about the width of your hip anyway.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads