• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to identify cordovan leather?

NHorween

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Galix
Hey guys!

Nice post. I have a question about cordovan. Next winter I'll be moving to a place where it literally rains on average 235 days a year, plus occasional snow. Is it cordovan a better option than calf for that insane amount of water? And what about soles: dainite or commando?

And if someone is wondering which city I'm talking about, it's Bergen, in the western coast of Norway.

Shell "rolls" more than it creases, and, as mentioned, there won't be any fine creasing since there is no grain.

I wear my shell shoes all winter and absolutely in the rain. When shell gets wet sometimes welts will appear, but this can usually be resolved by brushing or rewetting the shoes evenly and then allowing to dry (naturally - no moving air or heat). If the sidewalks are salty I always wipe the salt away at the end of the day.

These should be able to to ship to Norway - http://www.menshoes.de/en/oberleder/..._from_store=de

Carmina is always a great option with Dainite Soles - http://www.carminashoemaker.com/

Galix

Reaction score
Thank you for the info guys!

Still several months to go, but I'm more or less sure about what to get: Carmina boots in shell cordovan and dainite sole.

mjd

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any idea if these might be shell cordovan?

They look like they are rippling not creasing.

pmestrad

Reaction score
Hey all, sorry to resurrect an old thread but any idea about whether or not these are shell? They are AEs. Bought them on ebay.

Last edited:

noob15

Reaction score
Any idea if these might be shell cordovan?

They look like they are rippling not creasing.

They don't look like shell. If you blow up the picture, you can see microcreases.

ETA: Also, if you look at many eBay descriptions a lot of people will use cordovan as a description of color which can lead to some confusion. Generally, that refers to Horween #8 which can be close to the burgundy loafer you see everywhere

A good guide is http://fityn.com/official-shell-cordovan-shoes-model-numbers-guide/

Last edited:

mjd

Supporting Member
Reaction score

coloRLOw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

watch this pair of santoni FAM on ebay,seems like no pore on the surface.

so is it cordovan shell or polished calf or just beautified pic by photoshop?

i really don't have any experience with cordovan.

many thanks!

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

Some advice on these AE Sanfords , please. Shell or calf?

Attachments

• 20210303_133422.jpg
    20210303_133422.jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 455
  • 20210303_133414.jpg
    20210303_133414.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 455

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Holy old thread revival batman, you'd be better off to post these pictures and ask over in the Allen Edmonds thread!

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
by the way I believe they are calf

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well done reviving a thread that died 6 years ago!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads