How to identify authentic cuban cigars.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Bruce9241, Aug 28, 2007.

1. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

Agreed, there are probably more fake Cuban cigars in Mexico than in any other country including Cuba. Buy them at La Casa del Habanos and you will be fine. Otherwise, it is a gamble.

Yeah, band, box, government seal, they have all been counterfeited to a tee.

2. Southern-Nupe

Southern-Nupe Senior member

Ironically, a fair number of fake Cuban cigars are actually made in Cuba, they just nerver underwent the regulation process.

Check out this article for more detail.

http://www.smokemag.com/0398/feature.htm

Basically fake Habano's could be anywhere, not just Mexico, but the U.S. as well. Cuba makes great cigars, as that's what their known for, however many of the makers; i.e. Monte Cristo, Cohiba, Romeo Y Julieta, Partagas, Davidoff and Macanudo has moved some if not all of their operations to the Domenican Republic.

Some of the best Domincan or Nicaraguan cigars are superior to a number of Cuban Habanos. However in regards to Cubans, I think the great detail in which they are made, is what makes them world re-known, the fact that their not readily available on the U.S. market definately boosts it reputation here in the states as well. The majority of people wouldn't know a good Cuban from a mediocre or bad one, their just pleased with the fact it's a Cuban.

3. Southern-Nupe

Is it that apparent that Cuban cigars are superior to others? From what I gather, it only fetches a higher price because it's prohibited. Why would a top Dominican producer not be on par with a top Cuban producer?
    I have a box of authentic Cuban Cohiba's, I don't smoke as much as I use to, however when I did I still prefered my Monte Cristos, and Romeo Y Julieta reserves.

The Dominican and Nicaguaran cigars are better than the majorty of the non-cigar smoking crowd believes.

4. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

however many of the makers; i.e. Monte Cristo, Cohiba, Romeo Y Julieta, Partagas, Davidoff and Macanudo has moved some if not all of their operations to the Domenican Republic.

I'm not sure what you mean here, but I think it's not true.

Those brands exist in the DR, but they are separate. (Macanudo has never been a Cuban brand, and is made in Jamaica.)

Many of the "iconic" Cuban brands were restarted by exiles. This led to some nasty litigation. I am not too familiar with the details, but bascially those brands when made outside Cuba can only be sold in the US. In countries that trade with Cuba (i.e., everywhere else) only the Cuban versions will be available. Brands like Padron, AVO, and Arturo Fuente are sold in the US and abroad. (Davidoff used to be 100% made in Cuba, but the Swiss company got into a dispute with the Cuban government years ago over quality control and moved all their operations to the DR.)

Padron and AF give the best Cubans a run for their money. But ultimately what makes a cigar special is the soil in which the tobacco is grown. Cuban soil is the shit. I don't think it's just the forbidden mystique. I honestly think the cigars are, by and large, better.

5. edmorel

Padron and AF give the best Cubans a run for their money. But ultimately what makes a cigar special is the soil in which the tobacco is grown. Cuban soil is the shit. I don't think it's just the forbidden mystique. I honestly think the cigars are, by and large, better.

Dominican Republic is to Cuba what New York is to California.

Fuente's top cigars make the Cuban's taste like mierda.

6. Manton

Fuente's top cigars make the Cuban's taste like mierda.

I would say that the best Opus X is comparable to the best Cuban. But, to my taste, only Padron Anniversarios, Opus Xs, and Ashton VSGs compare to the better Cubans.

7. Southern-Nupe

I'm not sure what you mean here, but I think it's not true.

Those brands exist in the DR, but they are separate. (Macanudo has never been a Cuban brand, and is made in Jamaica.)

Many of the "iconic" Cuban brands were restarted by exiles. This led to some nasty litigation. I am not too familiar with the details, but bascially those brands when made outside Cuba can only be sold in the US. In countries that trade with Cuba (i.e., everywhere else) only the Cuban versions will be available. Brands like Padron, AVO, and Arturo Fuente are sold in the US and abroad. (Davidoff used to be 100% made in Cuba, but the Swiss company got into a dispute with the Cuban government years ago over quality control and moved all their operations to the DR.)

You're right to to degree, however Macanudo's were first produced in Jamaica, it was created by the makers of the Cuban brand "Punch". In the 70's, it was produced as a brand unto itself, later developed in Jamaica under the leadership of Ramón Cifuentes, a Cuban cigar maker from Partagas. While it may not have grown on Cuban soil, it is still tied in with the Cuban operations, who have since moved to DR.

While some of the companies later moved to DR after the Revolution, many were still ran by the original owners, i.e. Monte Cristo. So yes they were exiled, but they were exiled because of nationalization in the tobacco industry, in which they moved operations to the Dominican.

I'm not saying that Cubans don't make some of the best cigars, however, one can't generally state that all Cubans are better than cigars from DR. If you look at my post earlier, the average person would select a Cuban based only on the fact that it's from Cuba, without actually considering the flavor and detail of the cigar.

From what I hear Cibao Valley is well known for their soil, and the reason Dominican cigars are held in high esteem.

Manton, I love your knowledge of the industry..you seem like a guy I would love to sit down and have a cigar with.

8. Manton

I thought you were saying that the Cubans (i.e., the current Cuban government) had moved their operations to the DR. My point is only that all of those "Cuban" brands now made elsewhere were started by people who fled after the revolution. Some were indeed the original owners of the brands, or their descendents. They are in more or less open conflict with the Cuban government. The Cuban government has tried to bar their use of those brand names, and has succeeded in part, but not in the US.

All exported Cuban cigars are made by Cubatabaco, a state owned company, and sold overseas by Habanos, SA, the marketing/distribution firm. So far as I know, neither of these entities has any non-Cuban holdings.

9. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I usually don't even touch dominicans - I just haven't had good luck with them. I prefer nicoraguans. and, while not all cubans are mind blastingly good, the 3 or 4 best brands simply can't be compared to most other cigars. for a chunk of time I preached the same thing - that cuban cigar worship was just dogma and that there were jsut as good cigars out there, but I frankly have not bee too happy with the dominican cigars I have tried. that may very well be a taste issue.

10. edmorel

I usually don't even touch dominicans

I had to stop touching them too once I got married but I still smoke the cigars.

11. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I had to stop touching them too once I got married but I still smoke the cigars.

[​IMG]

12. SamIam33

SamIam33 Well-Known Member

Do a lot of people smoke cigars?? I have only tried it a couple times.. just curious..

13. Southern-Nupe

Do a lot of people smoke cigars?? I have only tried it a couple times.. just curious..
    I use to enjoy them 1-2 times per week, by no means was I an avid cigar smoker. As for recently, I'm more into collecting cigar accessories and reading related articles and books. I have only been to the Cigar bar once this year, whereas last year I was there nearly weekly and even rented my own locker. I still love the scent of a fine cigar, but I just haven't had the desire to smoke them as I did once before (perhaps this is a good thing).

There is an exception,

After eating a nice steak, I tend to be more likely to want to top off a good evening with a nice cigar.

14. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

How vintage are you talking about? If they were purchased in the US at a Dunhill store then they're probably over 40 years old. Kept in a humidor, well, for that long I think it's a chancy proposition, but it's better than the alternatives. More likely you've got some nice-smelling tinder. If they were purchased abroad (and therefore more likely to be newer), then your odds improve, somewhat. But the good news is that they're likely authentic. Oh, and I [​IMG] Partagas. That and Punch are my top two smokes.
    I have the feeling they're from the '60s. However, the box has already been half-smoked, so I don't know what the storage conditions were. They do look intact though, but insofar as cigars are concerned, I don't know what the prime conditions are supposed to be. I prefer my yearly allowance of harsh Turkish cigarettes.

15. Shikar

Shikar Senior member

If you bought a cuban cigar in Mexico from ANY store but a La Casa del Habano, they are 99.99% likely fake. Please take a look over at www.lacasadelhabano.cu
    An easy way to identify(for a novice) a cuban being smoked is the color of ash...a true cuban cigar will have dark, near black ash when smoked. The Dominican/nicaraguan will be near light grey. This is easy to see when you compare them side by side.
    Cuban cigars have a *sweet spot* when they are optimally smoked, this is usually in the two to five year age range of vintage, but can vary considerably. The recent Partagas Serie P#2 is clearly one that can be smoked off the truck!
    The Opus is a nicotine hit, the Padron is an awesome cigar, I enjoy the Anejo but they pale next to a good cuban. Cuba has that damn soil!!
    Padron anniversario is also counterfeited ....i sent mine back to Jorge, and he was kind enough to spend some time with me on the phone and replace the cigars with his private stash.
    Sorry to be lengthy.

Regards, Azam.